High Mileage Oil, New Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 wrx 23k...i usually get Rotella T6 but walmart is out quite often and the only Mobil 1 they have in 40w is High Mileage 0W-40...would I really cause seal leaks etc using it in a newer car or would it be safe?

You will be fine, but if you are not experiencing any leaks or oil consumption there is nearly no benefit, besides a slightly more stout add pack and it being heavier inside the 40wt grade than a normal 40wt.

Thanks guys, a lot of people run the 5w-40 Rotella T6 in these and some run 0w-40 mobil 1, which I would take if they were out of the T6 but the only one they carry is the high mileage and I didn't want to dump it in and cause leaks from seals swlling up or something.

I am sure it will be fine, but I would not give a new car/engine a steady diet of high mileage oil (with its extra additives to swell seals). I would not give a used car HM oil unless it actually had a problem with a seal (not a gasket) and the problem was not seal damage. Synthetic oils especially have great conditioners for seals. If the area around the seal is kept clean by quality oil, the seal will be conditioned and should not leak.

Originally Posted By: Youthanasia
2011 wrx 23k...i usually get Rotella T6 but walmart is out quite often and the only Mobil 1 they have in 40w is High Mileage 0W-40...would I really cause seal leaks etc using it in a newer car or would it be safe?

Do you mean 10W-40 High Mileage?

-Dennis

Absolutely go for it! I use Mobil 1 10W40HM in my car (and it has in th (60k-ish range). It`s the smoothest running oil I`ve ever tried! AWESOME stuff! It has according to Mobil it has 1100ppm zddp. Much stronger add pack over most other oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Youthanasia

You haven't stated how you drive your WRX but I wouldn't use a wat heavier than necessary oil like M1 HM 10W-40 or even T6 for that matter.
Mobil recommends their 0W-40 for your car and that's the heaviest oil I'd consider for street use.

Probabily the best choice is the Idemitsu made Subaru 5W-30 or any 5W-30 syn that meets the HTO-06 high temp' spec'.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It is thick but safe.

So is wearing a belt and suspenders but it's equally irrational to do so.

You kill me caterham......
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It is thick but safe.

So is wearing a belt and suspenders but it's equally irrational to do so.

Not to mention the fact that a belt interferes with digestion.

Or like Henry Fonda said in "Once Upon A Time In The West": "What can you say about someone that wears a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."

When I was a noob I emailed Valvoline asking if it was ok to use the HM oil (maxlife) in a new vehicle. They responded absoultely no problems what so ever, it just has seal conditioners and something else I cant remember.

But you can use a HM oil from day one if you want to.

I agreed with CATERHAM in that it is not a good idea. Will it cause short term problems-NO but, it might in the long term. In addition the engine is very young with few miles to mess around with this. Even the oil producer says for vehicle engines with over 75,000 miles. JMO.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
When I was a noob I emailed Valvoline asking if it was ok to use the HM oil (maxlife) in a new vehicle. They responded absoultely no problems what so ever, it just has seal conditioners and something else I cant remember.

But you can use a HM oil from day one if you want to.

It`s usually a higher viscosity as well.

You can use HM oil in day one. Your mpg may suffer a bit because the more viscosity. The benefit is also better engin protection and supposely longer engine life. The HM oil has more ZDDP and moly and detergent. I think the money is wasted using HM oil. Better spend on good quality synthetic oil with lower NOACK. The new SN PU and some PAO based synthetic has <6% NOACK.

I drive WOT almost all the time, just a bad habit... and with a turbo I figured 0w-40 would be better than 5w-30. I didn't want to buy it cause it's HM, it's just the only 40w Mobil 1 that walmart carries in my area and it's $26 for 5 qt jug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back