Liqui-Moly Synthoil Longtime 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently came across this on the VW 502/505.01 approval list (June 2009 revision). Can be had for about $11/qt shipped to your door. NAPA does not stock this variety of Lubro-Moly, unfortunately. It is NOT the same as Longtime Plus.

Thoughts? Looks like a stellar off-the-shelf oil.

API SM/CF
ACEA A3-04/B4-04
MB 229.3
BMW LL-98
VW 502 00/505 00

Density @15C: 0.845
KV @ 40C: 52.0
KV @ 100C: 10.1
VI: 186
Flashpoint: 234C/453F
Pour point: -45C/-49F
Ash: 1.1
HTHS: >3.5

Highlights from the MSDS:
polyolefin polyamine succinimide, polyol: 1-5% (PAO)
Phenol, 2,2'-Polythiobis[4-C8-30-alkyl derivative, over-alkaline calcium salts]: 1-5% (detergents)
ZDDP: 1-2.5% (AW)

PDS:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/1171%20Synthoil%20Longtime%20SAE%200W-30_EN.pdf/$file/1171%20Synthoil%20Longtime%20SAE%200W-30_EN.pdf

MSDS:
http://www.chemical-check.de/clientversi...voiladb=web.nsf

030.jpg

Ran it in my Mercury for 4 months/11,000 km. It's a good oil, and the engine run smooth and quiet. Also used it in my 2003 Grand Marquis before. Doesn't mean much without a UOA, I know. But I was happy with it. Only reason I switched to Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 was for the additive package and higher TBN.

What's the TBN of this oil? It's not listed in the PDS.

$11/qt isn't really that outrageous when you've got Motul 8100, Renewable Lube, and Redline all coming in at $11+/qt after shipping.

TBN was either 7 or 8, I will have to confirm. Price is high though. I picked up a 5L jug for $44 here.

It looks overpriced to me. According to the MSDS, the amount of the listed components make up about 12.5% of the total. What base oils make up the balance of 77.5% ? Looks like a syn blend unless there is more info available. FWIW-Oldtommy

Liqui-Moly's German website says it is "fully synthetic", not "synthetic technology" (which is where they list the group III HC oils).

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
It looks overpriced to me. According to the MSDS, the amount of the listed components make up about 12.5% of the total. What base oils make up the balance of 77.5% ? Looks like a syn blend unless there is more info available. FWIW-Oldtommy

I have to say I agree I noticed the same thing, it looks like a little PAO mixed with Group III. I would NOT pay that much for that mix no matter what the HTHS is. M1 0w40 would be my advice, Motul if you want to pay for a true syn 0w30.

Lucas 0w30 offers nearly identical specs for about $8/qt, too.

WorldPAC carries it but I don't think they do B2C sales.

Originally Posted By: dparm
polyolefin polyamine succinimide, polyol: 1-5% (PAO)

Actually this is not PAO - it's a dispersant additive.

Tom NJ

Quote:
Liqui-Moly's German website says it is "fully synthetic", not "synthetic technology" (which is where they list the group III HC oils).

+1 If they put Vollsynthetisch on the label it is illegal under German law to put any GpIII or other dino oil in the jug.

That's debatable, Trav. I'm fairly certain even the high-end European oils (rich in group IV/V) still contain group III. The law is probably worded to the effect of "the dominant component can't be group III", meaning you could in theory have 51% PAO and 49% group III.

That's debatable, Trav. I'm fairly certain even the high-end European oils (rich in group IV/V) still contain group III.

For solubility purposes, it would be hard to avoid at least some Group III.

I will try to find the law but if i remember correctly under German law would consider 51/49% a blend or part synthetic.
German laws have very few loopholes and there is very little wiggle room.

There is..
Full synthetic
Part synthetic
Synthetic from hydrocracked base HC

Edit:
Quote:
Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Shell, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high-quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005, production of GTL (gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began, the best of which perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III-base stocks are widely permitted to be marketed as synthetic motor oil with few exceptions where they are not allowed to be marketed as "synthetic" (for example, Germany).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Last edited:
Ignoring the somewhat high price, what's the consensus? I would assume this is mostly group IV. The high VI is certainly looking good for a 0w30 of HTHS 3.5+. Wondering how this oil will stand up to abuse and hard driving.

BTW I misspoke, it's closer to $8/qt.

Ignoring the somewhat high price, what's the consensus? I would assume this is mostly group IV. The high VI is certainly looking good for a 0w30 of HTHS 3.5+. Wondering how this oil will stand up to abuse and hard driving.

BTW I misspoke, it's closer to $8/qt.

I know a guy who races his Jetta TDI wagon (it's far from stock) who used/uses 0w30 503.01/506.01 oil and 0w30 502.00/505.00. He's at about 280 ft-lb / 180 HP, engine is still fine.

Granted he's not revving as high as most sparkers (only 5500 RPM), but the forces from torque and diesel combustion are higher.

If I go for this oil I'm definitely pulling a sample at 2500 to see how it is holding up.

Dividing the HTHS over the dynamic viscosity @ 150C shows it could have very good shear resistance, maybe close to that of some of the more exotic race oils like 300V or Redline, and even RLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back