German Castrol VS Pennzoil Platinum for VW GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have PP in my 2002 VW GTI. I previously had Castrol 5w40 (non german) in the engine, and it did not like it. PP runs beautifully in it but is not on VW's recommended oil list. GC is on the list. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
GC.

If you have the choice between two great oils, and only one is on the approval list, pick that one.

Wouldn't hurt to give GC a try. I have a similar application as you, and I also was on the end run of PP. I stuck in GC this go and all is well so far.

One thing of note, the GC hasn't turned dark near as fast as the PP did. I'm thinking the PP was doing some serious cleaning though.

Might try PU though, if you can find it. But GC is definitely going to do well in your app.

Originally Posted By: bkbenjy
I previously had Castrol 5w40 (non german) in the engine, and it did not like it.

What exactly was the problem with it?

But yeah, definitely give GC a try.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
GC.

If you have the choice between two great oils, and only one is on the approval list, pick that one.

Wrong, as usual.

blackstone2.jpg

BlackstoneLabsOilReport10-8-08.png

Biosyn.jpg

A former member's Audi 12v, run 122k on 10k intervals on non-spec oil.

122k_miles.jpg

So, "specs" don't mean a bag of beans, especially when you don't understand them.

Spec oils are stuck with the formula they used for the approval test, while otc oils rapidly incorporate the newest technologies, mostly additives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I previously had Castrol 5w40 (non german) in the engine, and it did not like it.

What exactly was the problem with it?

But yeah, definitely give GC a try.

In cold weather. It ran loud upon start up for quite awhile. When i changed it with PP it quieted down quick.

Also I don't know if the oil was the culprit, but this used to happen to the GTI. Upon starting in cold weather if i did not let the engine warm up for 5 minutes or more the engine would stutter and when put into gear, (automatic) and given a little gas it would stall.

After switching to PP from Castrol 5w40(non german) these problems were gone.

I am going to give GC a try though, as it is on sale. My understanding is it is made in Germany, and is better than the American made Castrol oils.

Last edited:
PP is very good. Pennzoil does make a 5w30 Euro and 5w40 Euro that should have the specs for VW. Not sure where you could get it, maybe a local Pennzoil distributor.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
PP is very good. Pennzoil does make a 5w30 Euro and 5w40 Euro that should have the specs for VW. Not sure where you could get it, maybe a local Pennzoil distributor.

The 5w30 Euro Ultra is basically unattainable. It's only had in 55 gallon drums in Europe.

Here's the 5w40 Euro...

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/pesy5weufoca.html

I'm very tempted to get some myself and run it in the summer heat. Though with Ultra out now, I don't know if I even need to.

Last edited:
I currently have PP in my 2002 VW GTI. I previously had Castrol 5w40 (non german) in the engine, and it did not like it. PP runs beautifully in it but is not on VW's recommended oil list. GC is on the list. Any thoughts?

If you're worried about not having the approval on the bottle than switch. If you aren't, stick with PP. Very good oil, especially when found on sale.

There are *a lot* of good oils, may I even dare say better, that do not have the approval on the bottle that would work wonders in your engine. BITOG is a good place to find that info.

Originally Posted By: momomeister
Hmm. I googled vw502 00 approved oils and found a site I think with info from 2005. Doesn't show GC as being approved.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2237991

Here is the Volkswagen Approved Engine Oils list. Directly from VW.com
http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/en/us/images/vw_oil_recommendations.pdf
Scroll down and you will find castrol european formula 0w30

Excellent! Then I can use GC in my parents 05 Passat! Can't go wrong with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back