Energy Conserving II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I read something about the Energy Conserving II rating and I know it use to be on the back of some GF-2 oils, what happened to it?

I think when they went to GF-3 they just dropped the "II" notation (and didn't bother with a "III"), figuring the energy conserving level was already indicated in the GF number.

So all Energy Conserving GF-3 (and presumably GF-4) oils are really Energy Conserving II?

Not sure this helps, but:

From one website (dated early 90s):

Engine oils categorized as Energy Conserving are formulated to improve the fuel economy of passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks. These oils have produced a fuel economy improvement of 1.5 percent or greater over a standard reference oil in a standard test procedure. Oils meeting this requirement display the Energy Conserving label in the lower portion of the doughnut-shaped API Service Symbol.

Engine oils categorized as Energy Conserving II are formulated to improve the fuel economy of passenger cars, vans and light-duty trucks. These oils have produced a fuel economy improvement of 2.7 percent or greater over a standard reference oil in a standard test procedure. Oils meeting this requirement display the Energy Conserving II label in the lower portion of the doughnut-shaped API Service Symbol.

From another website:

After August1, 1997 only SJ oils will be designated as "Energy Conserving". The test for SH in combination with "Energy Conserving" and "Energy Conserving II" will not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back