ATF Orders Temporarily Suspended In California

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scroll bar is on the bottom but the text is on the top. When you scroll on the bottom then scroll back to the top, you miss some of the text.

Mike set it up so I can read it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm too busy thinking what the heck the new label will say.....I just can't imagine it.

"Our product doesn't fully meet the following manufacturers specifications but we recommend that you use our product where the manufacturers call out those specifications."
21.gif

Yeah good one, Mr smarty moderator. Funny.

No one has commented on last bit in A7.

I noticed it, therefore, a phone call to Kevin is on my to-do list.

Yeah good one, Mr smarty moderator. Funny.

Laws and regulations are usually created for good reasons, unfortunately they often end up being like doing surgery with an ax.

MODS - could you please delete my previous post - I tried to edit it but I missed the deadline. What I meant to say was:

It's interesting that the Amsoil FAQ says "The State of California has specific requirements strictly enforcing the OEM’s viscosity requirements for their specification", whereas the California law itself is broader than just viscosity: "Any automatic transmission fluid sold without limitation as to type of transmission for which it is intended, shall meet all automotive manufacturers' recommended requirements" and "Automatic transmission fluids that are intended for use only in certain transmissions, as disclosed on the label of its container, shall meet the latest automotive manufacturers' recommended requirements for those transmissions".

It looks to me that if you say a fluid is for use in a GM transmission, regardless of whether it's just for GM transmissions or for GM transmissions and others, it MUST comply with GM's "recommended requirements for those transmissions". GM's recommendations are "use only Dexron VI". That means the fluid has to be "Dexron VI" fluid, not merely "suitable use where Dexron VI is called for".

I'm sure Whitewolf would make the point here that Dexron VI is more than a viscosity spec, and that to be Dexron VI fluid it has to pass GM's Dex VI test sequence and get a license number.

By the way, I'm not being critical of GM, California or Amsoil. I think the law was drafted to achieve a goal around clarity for consumers and so there will be lots of opportunities for manufacturers to try to find ways to comply with it without actually going through the full and very expensive certification process. It's unlikely that the consumers will be worse off than they were before as a result of the new law.

Seems like California has more legal Bull than what Washington State does. I thought we were pretty bad.

They sure like to look as if they are the leaders in a lot of things. Pollution standards etc. Looks like "Red tape" kinda trips up the good intentions.....

I had more trouble recycling used motor oil in San Diego than in Washington state...... I thought San Diego would be more accepting of waste oil? Maybe it was just the parts stores I was going to?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Seems like California has more legal Bull than what Washington State does. I thought we were pretty bad.

They sure like to look as if they are the leaders in a lot of things. Pollution standards etc. Looks like "Red tape" kinda trips up the good intentions.....

I had more trouble recycling used motor oil in San Diego than in Washington state...... I thought San Diego would be more accepting of waste oil? Maybe it was just the parts stores I was going to?
That is ok, they are there to "help" you.

The more they "help" the worst it gets. Their budget proves that.

Take care, bill

I am not sure if it is related, but I was at Carquest talking to a store manager and he showed my their Carquest trans fluid which is made by Valvoline that had to have Dexron removed from the labels because of some trademark issue.

To say the least. I know there is a new formula coming out. But the Cali thing is very, very odd. Almost like something and their toxics law, or some legal thing.

Any idea on what the formula change is and why the change?

Originally Posted By: mikey12
To say the least. I know there is a new formula coming out. But the Cali thing is very, very odd. Almost like something and their toxics law, or some legal thing.

Any idea on what the formula change is and why the change?

Not sure exactly - I think a lower vis formula....

Quote:
03-02-2009
ATF Quarts Available in California on March 9
With labeling issues now resolved, AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) will again be available for sale in quart container sizes in California beginning March 9, 2009. Both the Portland, OR and Las Vegas, NV distribution centers will have inventory available. An announcement regarding the availability of ATF in gallon and twin pack options will follow soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back