Yamaha snowmobile OEM oil filter mystery goo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen this before. It's similar to the consistency of Vaseline. Is this an engine break in grease or what? This is from the break in period on a Yamaha 998 triple engine. Oil looked as it should from break in. 122 miles & 12.2 hours on the machine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I accidentally plugged a filter with assembly lube when I was younger... so I do know that it is a possibility.

Only found on the clean side of the filter? I imagine they want to protect the engine very well as it may be in storage for some time before sale. They should know if contacted. From the factory should be no problem, they know what's best.

I assume this is a brand new sled and this is its first oil change? I'd document, take pics, notes, etc, talk to your dealer and send these pics to Yamaha in case of future problems.

Not that this likely has anything to do with it, but I personally dislike Yamalube and Yamaha filters. Not many good news stories, VOAs and UOAs with Yamalube products. The price they charge for them is astronomical as well. Both products prices could be cut in half and you'd still be paying too much for them based on what you receive.

I purchased my Vector used so I have never seen that before, but then again, I have never done a C&P with any of the filters. Dd the oil come out sludgy/thick or was it normal?

Edit: Are you a member at TY4stroke.com? https://ty4stroke.com/ - https://ty4stroke.com/forums/ If not, I'd join and ask there. It's a great site full of everything, and then some.

IMG_0181 (Large).JPG

IMG_0601 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Yes, only on the outside pleats that I can see. Yes this was the factory installed filter.

This is actually on a Textron / Arctic Cat side by side that uses a Yamaha 998 sled triple. Yamaha has been working with AC for years and this was a big reason I went with this machine. I replace with a Fram PH6017A since it's a little longer and has a pretty good reputation. I also have some HiFlow 204's to use also.

Originally Posted by sw99
Yes, only on the outside pleats that I can see. Yes this was the factory installed filter.

This is actually on a Textron / Arctic Cat side by side that uses a Yamaha 998 sled triple. Yamaha has been working with AC for years and this was a big reason I went with this machine. I replace with a Fram PH6017A since it's a little longer and has a pretty good reputation. I also have some HiFlow 204's to use also.

I use a HF147 on my Vector, they are good filters.

You never did say if the oil came out sludgy or not? I would assume, based on the looks of that filter, that it at least had a few lumps in it?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back