Tennessee bad road conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove east out of Nashville to NC at about 11 AM CST this morning. Glad to get out of there on the leading edge of that mess.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
The vast majority of drivers in this region have one driving mode: as fast as they think they can get away with.
So true. I could not believe the speed some of these clowns were driving given the conditions.

I was down there last week on a marathon trip and was amazed at the amount of road salt. Pretty crazy that same interstate was like that!

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
The vast majority of drivers in this region have one driving mode: as fast as they think they can get away with.

Its similar in most states. Snow is especially dangerous in the south because of low exposure on a yearly basis. As a result many vehicles do not have all season tires. Sport tires, snow, and being unfamiliar with driving in Winter conditions is generally a risky endeavor.

Very true. One thing of note... It's not just there in Tennessee. In Wisconsin several winters ago there was a big pile up on Rte 41. People driving WAY too fast for snow covered roads. 40 car, truck and tractor trailer pile up caught on a traffic camera.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In California, we have tule fog.

Ice fog is some nasty stuff too. Experienced that in Alaska.

Luckily I’m scheduled to be off work today and tomorrow.

I went out for a run around 4:45, and it was mostly dry snow; good traction. The problem is that the overpasses are iced over, and many people don’t know how to negotiate an icy overpass/bridge.

I saw at least 3 wrecks that had just occurred, and I witnessed a 4th happen right in front of me.

I try to stay off the roads in this stuff. Not worth some idiot hitting me and wrecking my truck that’s never been hit in the 10 years I’ve had it. And the WRX doesn’t get driven in bad weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back