any new thoughts on large tool chests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used that harbor freight tool box for many years with no problems all day at work. I even over loaded to the gills. I replaced it simply because I ran out of room. Its at home loaded with tools there

If you're looking to buy a large roll around I think that is the one to get. I came across a version of that chest several years ago at HF, basically the same as what they offer now, and couldn't figure out what the "catch" was - why it was so inexpensive. Eventually I realized there wasn't a catch, it's just a genuinely good deal. Since then a few friends/neighbors have bought one and they love them. I want one myself, but I already have two bottom, one intermediate and two top chests and that set-up works well for me.

I have the craftsman large rolling chest with the ball bearing drawers. the drawers latch so that they dont open when you roll them. Very pleased with it.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have the craftsman large rolling chest with the ball bearing drawers. the drawers latch so that they dont open when you roll them. Very pleased with it.

Craftsman has many levels of tool chests, all but the cheapest ones have ball bearings. The cheap ones hold only 30 lbs per drawer, the better ones 75 lbs and the even better ones 100 lbs.

Then there is how deep the middle & top chests are, 12" or 18" or full depth.

I see also there are different size grips on the front of the drawers, some more like 1/2" and some closer to 7/8".

And yes, some do have a latch to prevent the drawer from opening.

The very best have a round key, the rest a plain flat key.

The drawer liners are extra also.

For the money, I would sooner get a used Snap On, Matco, MAC, Cornwell, Kennedy, ect.

If you are not in a huge rush, Craigslist has decent ones every now and then.

I just bought the 44" HF red chest and top. I have all the drawers loaded except for 1 and it is great. I can see absolutely no reason to spend more money on a "better quality" tool box. However, I do recommend you thoroughly inspect the box and tighten any and all hardware on it before you load it up, just for good measure. Napa does have a 46" Homak top and bottom box that is actually a tiny bit larger than the harbor frieght for $770 but I have never seen one in real life and doubt it is better quality than the HF box.

In my area, even the used truck brand names like snap on, mac and matco are much too expensive even when you buy used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AMC
I just bought the 44" HF red chest and top. I have all the drawers loaded except for 1 and it is great. I can see absolutely no reason to spend more money on a "better quality" tool box. However, I do recommend you thoroughly inspect the box and tighten any and all hardware on it before you load it up, just for good measure. Napa does have a 46" Homak top and bottom box that is actually a tiny bit larger than the harbor frieght for $770 but I have never seen one in real life and doubt it is better quality than the HF box.

In my area, even the used truck brand names like snap on, mac and matco are much too expensive even when you buy used.

I wonder if its the Homak Pro line. Looking at NAPA online I just see Armstrong brand tool chests for lots of $$.

The deal Napa is running on the Homak box is listed in their "real deals" catalog. You can view it online or pick one up in store. The box is listed towards the middle of the catalog I believe.

The HF red tool chests are good value for $. If you're not wrenching for a living, I would highly recommend them. When I was shopping for one, I compared many tool chests in the $400 range and found many of the Kobalt, Craftsman, Husky and other no name brands (of the non-pro range) to be more inferior for the price.

The tool chest walls and drawers are made of thinner gauge metal while the HF Red was thick and did not flex as much as the other brands I looked at. And the HF drawers were made better, and slid smoothly too.

Don't be fooled by low prices. When it comes to non-pro chests, you get what you pay for generally. I found HF to be the best value for $ for a reasonably well made chest. Granted it 's not snapon or matco or cornwell quality, but I do not use it every day, and I do know that with my use, it should last a good many years. That's why I bought it without hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back