Most common socket size and screws on 2007 MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting to fill out out my tool kit. What are the most common socket sizes and screw heads used in my wife's 2007 Acura MDX? Any other tools you can suggest?

Bonus Question: Same question for my 1994 Jaguar XJS 4.0L. A little obscure but I already asked on the Jag sites
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You can probably take the entire Acura apart with a 10mm socket.

As a 3x Honda owner now on Acura MDX 07 also so true. I own a small set of tools but 10mm seems to be heavily used.

of all the metric sockets/wrenches I'ved use in servicing imported automobiles, never in my life would I have to use 13mm for once.

the most bizarre thing is, when you buy wrench/socket set, many a times the cheeper ones only come with 13mm, but seldom with 14 mm (which gets used regularly in servicing Japanese automobiles)....

my take 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm.

8mm mostly on brake bleeding nipples. And sometimes, you may need 21mm or 22mm.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
8,10,12,14,17,19mm

+1

I think some of the newest Honda SUVs now use 22mm for the lug nuts.

22mm is very close to 7/8, a common lug nut size.

Bolt heads are not so closely associated with the threaded part's diameters. Seems like they like to cheat from the standard and make them 1 or 2mm smaller for some reason, presumably production related but possibly just lightening/ cheapening.

For a while I suffered without a 15mm impact socket, my set went 14 to 16. Some wrench sets skip 18mm for some reason as well. If you can wait for after Father's Day there'll be great clearance sets at Depot/Lowes.

Originally Posted By: Quest
of all the metric sockets/wrenches I'ved use in servicing imported automobiles, never in my life would I have to use 13mm for once.

the most bizarre thing is, when you buy wrench/socket set, many a times the cheeper ones only come with 13mm, but seldom with 14 mm (which gets used regularly in servicing Japanese automobiles)....

my take 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm.

8mm mostly on brake bleeding nipples. And sometimes, you may need 21mm or 22mm.

Q.

+1 for these. If you are just doing basic maintenance 10mm will cover the small stuff. Anything with Brake work or work on the engine will be larger sized fasteners. For Japanese cars its best to have 8 mm sockets all the way up to 24 mm if you are doing timing belts etc. I've also invested in a set of gear wrenches which are a necessity when doing work on the engine with very minimal clearance.

Regards, JC.

Just get a complete set from 8-19 and you'll be covered for almost any vehicle. You can add the larger sizes if/when you need them.

The Craftsman mechanic's tool sets are still USA made and are by far the best bargain in sockets. Many of them will include the larger sizes, too.

Bolts:

5.5,8,10,12,14,17,19 on the stock honda/acura car.

13 and 18 are seen on accessories ... Like side steps and running boards etc.

Screws:

Phillips #2 and #3
JIS #2 and #3

Last edited:
AJChien, you bring up something I thought was not there -- JIS screws. So are they still used? I had been led to believe they had been phased out in the 80's or 90's.

As far as I know, JIS screws are still being used. I'm still seeing them scattered all over the place.

However. There are many screwdrivers now that are no longer marked or advertised as JIS, because many "exceed JIS" specifications. It's hard to know which manufacturers "exceed JIS" and which are regular Phillips. Really annoying.
Total pain in the butt if you're a bit compulsive about using the right screwdrivers.

Having a car full of Pozidriv (and torx) I've become compulsive lol. Found a set of JIS Vessel screwdrivers I might get. They have a set of 'impact' screwdrivers that act like a impact driver that look pretty cool as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back