Metrinch Vs Grip Tite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one you like better from experience? Why?

They are very similar in concept but Metrinch has wider product line. I think you can only get Metrinch online and as far as I know only sears sells Grip Tite local retailer.

Only experience that I can talk from is a long time owner of a metrinch set.

I thought that they were a gimick, until Dad gave me a set, now I'm a convert.

There are many who make Spline Drive + Sockets when I Googled it but none says will work with SAE+Metric like Metrinch and Grip Tite SS. Maybe I missed it??

I have no experience whatsoever with Metrinch but I still remain sceptical in spite of Shannow's good experience with it. It is one thing to claim it will work with both imperial amd metric, but how WELL does it work?

Metrinch still looks like spline drive.

Home Depot has 3-Piece Total Wrench Smart Wrench System for 5 bucks. Check it out.

Total Wrench Smart Wrenching System - 3-Piece

f816e492-a0a9-4fd0-bbe4-d7e4d3419adf_300.jpg

I've had a Metrich set for many years and have never had a problem with it. The sockets are of very high quality (or at least were). They work very well, but there is "lash" in the socket due to the universal nature of the socket. So long as you are putting pressure on it, this is not a problem, but once pressure is off, the lash returns.

This is only a big deal if you are under a car and want a wrench to hang on a faster, and it lowers how much you throw you get out of a ratchet. They are the best for a car set because it cuts the size/weight in half.

The Grip-tite sockets use a plastic piece to hold the rods in place, and there would be a lot of friction from the cam action. I didn't buy any of these.

I'm confused. I think of these as completely 2 different things.

Yes, they both grip the sides of the fastener.

I think of metrinch as something that will cover metric and inch fasteners.
I think of griptite as a replacement for magnetic sockets. They hold your fastener in the socket in any direction.

If you're torquing really hard or worried about rounding off a soft fastener, why not standard 6 point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back