Lets talk footwear again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something relevant to all, and I always like to hear what people have to say about work shoes/boots.

I've taken to wearing Red Wing hiking style boots at work in the shop.
Positives:
-Light weight
-Steel Toe or Tech Toe for protection
-As comfortable as casual shoes to wear, maybe even the most comfortable shoes I own
-Waterproof
-Plastic coated outer toe area that doesn't wear out right away
Negatives:
-Expensive (150 per pair)
-Made in China (Red Wing got bitten with the China bug too)
-Soft soles wear out quickly

I also have a pair of made in USA Red Wing steel toe work boots that I wear casually, mostly in the winter.
Positives:
-Proudly made in USA by a guy named Mark
-Electro shock rated, which has already saved my sorry behind once
-These boots are so stiff and heavy duty that they may never wear out with casual use
-Comfortable for extended periods of standing on concrete
-Don't mess with me look they give off while wearing. Call it the Chuck Norris effect
Negatives:
-Expensive. (200 per pair) But I'm OK with that since they're US made.
-These boots are so stiff and heavy duty that they aren't even close to broken in yet, and I've worn them quite a few times now
-Heavy
-Poorly designed heel plate that is so stiff and heavy duty that it wears holes in the back of your socks

I know these boots are gonna be great once they are broken in, but that may not occur until mid-decade!

I wear the Oliver 55-245 ( http://www.oliver.com.au/asp/show_products.asp?CatId=11 ) 10 hours a day, 5 days most weeks.

Without a doubt, they are the best work boot that I've EVER worn in 23 years of wearing safety boots.

They've made the cap extra wide, and can wriggle toes freely. The sole isn't work boot flat, but rolls with your stride. the yellow torsion bar things in the sole stop it from cracking (a problem with Oliver's previous stuff).

The "lace locking device" is just at the top of the foot, where when you pull on the laces, they clip in to the loop (that double looking one in the pic), keeping the area over the tongue taught, and allowing two different lace tightnesses.

The yellow kevlar stitching looks stupid, but a couple of treatments with parade gloss, and they disappear. Rubber over the toe annoys my but buffs up OK with parade gloss.

Been wearing the same set for 8 months now, and have just hit the tread wear indicators. Normally 6 months and my boots are unserviceable. Tread wear nice and even also, more wear under ball of foot, which is a nice change.

Red Wing Boots here. 5 days a week all year around. I use to wear Timberland Pros but the Red Wings last longer in my feet. Just wish they wasnt so expensive.

Looks as if the Aussies may be onto something as far as work boots go. A few of the guys I work with wear and swear by Redback boots, which are sold by the Matco Tool distributor. I'm still solidly in the Red Wing camp, because it's a local company here in MN.

However, if Red Wing keeps shipping all their production to China, I will be looking elsewhere right quick. USA made is a top priority for me, but made in AUS would be a close second.

I definitely respect Shannow's opinion, because I know that he puts some serious miles on the boots he wears. Will check out the Oliver boots next time I'm due for a set. (May be soon, soles on my Red Wing hikers are going bald like a bad set of Goodyears)

Are the Oliver boots domestic (USA or AUS) or are they China made?

Like Woody said:
"Takes a $10 dollar shoe to fit my feet, lord, lord, and I ain't gonna be treated this a way"

No love for the Red wings here. I bought a pair and within a few months the soles came off. I contacted the salesman and he never returned my calls. My boss reciently bought a pair and his soles came off too, got those replaced under warranty and now they are worn out again.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Are the Oliver boots domestic (USA or AUS) or are they China made?

Checked through the stores this morning.

Best I can find is "Assembled in Australia".

Can only guess where the bits come from.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

However, if Red Wing keeps shipping all their production to China, I will be looking elsewhere right quick. USA made is a top priority for me, but made in AUS would be a close second.

I've been wearing Red Wings for about 20 years, but I remember that when I bought this most recent pair (about 3 years ago), it was a discontinued stock number and they were nice enough to get me one from their warehouse somewhere. I have a feeling things are changing fast at Red Wing and once that stock was all gone the replacements probably are coming from China. And this was for their basic steel-toed work boot, not some fancy hiker or specialty shoe! I probably should have bought an extra pair or two.

If you want a good American-made work boot, I like Justin work boots. Any leather boot made in a first-world country that is worth a darn is going to be $150+ and these are no exception.

I specifically wear this one and the soles seem to show no significant wear after a year and a half of work use:
http://www.justinboots.com/boots/8_Lace_R.html

They're available in wide sizes, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: senquack
If you want a good American-made work boot, I like Justin work boots. Any leather boot made in a first-world country that is worth a darn is going to be $150+ and these are no exception.

I specifically wear this one and the soles seem to show no significant wear after a year and a half of work use:
http://www.justinboots.com/boots/8_Lace_R.html

They're available in wide sizes, too.

Justin boots are very good +1

I also like Dr. Martins

My Red Wing hikers are becoming a pain with the almost bald soles this time of year, I've nearly wiped out on the ice about 5 times this week.

I guess it's usually a compromise, most of the tactical/hiker style boots are comfortable but wear quickly, whereas the work boots last a long time but are heavy to wear.

As a carpenter for 27 years, I am on my feet all day. For the last 10-12 years I have been getting boots from either Cabelas for B. A. Masons, mainly for the comfort. The problem was they just did not last more than 9 months. A month ago I bought a pair of Red Wings for $250. They felt great in the store and the plan was for them to last longer than my other boots. After wearing them for two weeks, I developed pain in my right foot. Long story short, doctor says I have developed a Neuroma or "pinched Nerve" from the way my new boots with the stiffer sole makes me walk. I am looking at either inserts, shots, or therapy, or a combination of all three to get rid of the pain. Anybody want to buy a pair of Red Wings?

Doctor Martens boots used to be made in England.

I have a couple pairs of their boots, and one pair of their shoes. The shoes are 5 years old and are still great.

Now I see that most of their line is made in China. So check the tag before you buy.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Doctor Martens boots used to be made in England.

I have a couple pairs of their boots, and one pair of their shoes. The shoes are 5 years old and are still great.

Now I see that most of their line is made in China. So check the tag before you buy.

yes I noticed that the docs are mage in china now. I got to replace my pair that are about 3 years old and worn. however will not be buying chinese ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back