Consumer Reports rates the new Impala best

Status
Not open for further replies.
These folks are supposed to be entirely independent. You have to wonder sometimes. The chances of the Impala being "competitive" with a Lexus LS460, or even approaching it's reliability and resale value are slim to none.

I sat in one at the NY Car Show.
Very nice car at a decent cost fully equipped with all options including adaptive cruise control etc..
On the negative side,the interior dash,center console looks a bit cheap and faux wood trim is awful but it's still a nice car for the buck.

Ive always liked the impala but after a few years repairs become a factor and the maintenance required will be far more costly than a toyota/subaru. I like high resale, durability and low cost to maintain as my priorities. Not to say its not a great car, there are just better options.

In other news Consumer reports is changing names to Corporate Reports and USA Today is also changing it's name to Teen Today.

Not impressed.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
These folks are supposed to be entirely independent. You have to wonder sometimes. The chances of the Impala being "competitive" with a Lexus LS460, or even approaching it's reliability and resale value are slim to none.
Very true. Only the 94-96 Impala SS hold their value. I have a 96 with 95k miles on it. I love that car and will never get rid of it....not to mention that I can still easily get at least $10k from it. Not bad for a 96
smile.gif

Wow ...
Apparently, anyone who buys american cars is buying an enormous PoS and is going to waste a ton of maintenance on it. Gotcha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow ...

Apparently no one is allowed to say anything good about american cars ...

Point taken.

Anyone who buys american cars is buying an enormous PoS and is going to waste a ton of maintenance on it. Gotcha.
Ive noticed this on Bitog. Everybody is about BMW, Toyota, and Honda. American branded cars are junk.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966

+1 That is laughable. Someone's secretary must have written that article or they left it up to the Summer college interns. Those cars aren't even in the same category. The Lexus ES350 is in the same category.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Ive always liked the impala but after a few years repairs become a factor and the maintenance required will be far more costly than a toyota/subaru. I like high resale, durability and low cost to maintain as my priorities. Not to say its not a great car, there are just better options.

The Impala is a $25k car branded with a $35k sticker. Way better choices for $35k out there. If GM would price the car right they would sell millions of them. But no way I would ever consider paying what they are asking.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Ive noticed this on Bitog. Everybody is about BMW, Toyota, and Honda. American branded cars are junk.

American cars are Ok...just too expensive for what you get versus what else is out there. There are lots of choices out there now and the quality levels are pretty good all around. The new Impala is a nice looking car but at the end of the day it's still a Chevy. Fit and finish of the interior is the dead give away when you sit in one. They should have used the Caprice brand to differentiate it. The Impala should be compared to the Toyota Avalon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine

American cars are Ok...just too expensive for what you get versus what else is out there. There are lots of choices out there now and the quality levels are pretty good all around. The new Impala is a nice looking car but at the end of the day it's still a Chevy. Fit and finish of the interior is the dead give away when you sit in one. They should have used the Caprice brand to differentiate it. The Impala should be compared to the Toyota Avalon.

I agree. I like a few American cars, but Japan still has more of what i like.

Domestics have come along way and are making good cars these days, but they still lag behind Japan.

Maybe not so much with CR, but most auto magazines always gush about new redesigned models ('makes the previous version just a bad memory'). They feel obliged to praise the latest model and only give faint criticism to models that are at the end of their cycle, so as not to offend the auto maker. Let's face it, other than CR, they are dependent on the manufacturer to provide early versions to test. Without the cooperation of the manufacturer, they will not have the scoop on the models like their competing mags. So it is a symbiotic relationship.

Originally Posted By: buster

Domestics have come along way and are making good cars these days, but they still lag behind Japan.

+1 A base Avalon XLT has a sticker of $32k with leather seats and decent sound system. While the Impala Lt is $34k with basically the same gear.

I'm confused what it "won". Is this some sort of "appeal" or "initial quality"? The 2014 is too new to have any sort of reliability data, short of initial quality. I'll admit it is far far ahead of the old one.

Just an observation: Every single poster in the thread thus far that has criticized the Impala and/or CR and lists vehicle in their signature owns two Asian cars.

Curious.

Also, because BITOG, if CR were talking about the Fusion, this thread would be at 5 pages with heaps of praise from the Ford boosters.

You can get a $35K Accord or Camry ... at the end of the day ... they are just a Honda and a Toyota.

Oh, wait. I'm sorry! Japanese cars are perfect in every aspect,and can go 500,000,000 miles with no maintenance!

Why can't we give credit where credit is due? GM has done an excellent job of turning themselves around!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster

+1 A base Avalon XLT has a sticker of $32k with leather seats and decent sound system. While the Impala Lt is $34k with basically the same gear.

After awhile GM will have big discounting on the Impala.

I don't think American sedans are 'junk' these days. Perhaps they were in the 80s / 90s compared to Honda and Toyota, but GM, Ford, and Chrysler have come a long way. The Cruze is a nice car (but too small for my needs). The Fusion is a nice car (but too expensive). The Charger is a nice car (almost bought one). And don't ignore what Cadillac has done the past decade with the CTS/ATS. The Big Three I think are in a position to compete, but Japan has set the bar very, very high.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

I don't think American sedans are 'junk' these days. Perhaps they were in the 80s / 90s compared to Honda and Toyota, but GM, Ford, and Chrysler have come a long way. The Cruze is a nice car (but too small for my needs). The Fusion is a nice car (but too expensive). The Charger is a nice car (almost bought one). And don't ignore what Cadillac has done the past decade with the CTS/ATS. The Big Three I think are in a position to compete, but Japan has set the bar very, very high.

But it seems like they are backing off a bit on that bar, too.

In the complete opposite way, the Japanese brands of today are not what they were 10 years ago.

I was amazed at the engineering in a friend's 05 Honda Accord. Now ... the Accord really isn't that much different than any other mid size sedan on the road.

The Totyota brand is complete appliances. Bland, boring (but still ) reliable.

Nissan ... they just want awkward CVTs and strange styling in everything.

Mazda seems to be the only Japanese brand that is really trying harder to set the bar higher at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back