Winter Oil Change--Filter Brand Change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 01 7.3L PSD... I am currently using M1 oil filter...Now I'm looking at these 3 filters...

1.Amsoil EoA {Have used before}
2.Fleetguard (STRATAPORE)
3 Wix 51734XE

I imagine the EoA is a bit better, and with my P/C price... It will be a bit cheaper then the other 2 shipped to my door.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not going to get much better than that WIX. I would go for that. They are all great filters. Tough choice. I like the WIX still, even if it costs a little more. 10um, that is excellent!

An oil filter is an oil filter .Fancy filters for extended oil change intervals other than that regular oil change intervals a Ford motorcraft filter does fine. I wonder what the wix media is made from ? The filter is on back order fron Fleet filter and the price seems really good for a premimun filter.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
An oil filter is an oil filter.

Not really.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Not really.
whistle.gif

I must be missing something.... What else would it do besides filter the oil? Some might work better than others but in the end, it's still an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
10micron rating--Nice! http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/51734XE.html
Beta 4/75=10/30 So 75%@10um, 98.7@30um.

Based on a phone call to daman Fleetguard says Stratopore media is 78%@10um, 100@30um, could be part number dependent.

Amsoil EoA is 98.7% @ 15um and can run 25k/1yr.

They all look fine, but with Wix on back order, it's Stratopore and EoA. Depending on Statopore price, since you get a pc price, the EoA looks a very solid choice here.
Quote:
.... What else would it do besides filter the oil? Some might work better than others but in the end, it's still an oil filter.
And if one was to follow that logic to it's ultimate end, oil is just oil, what else does it do besides lubricate? And a car is just a car, just a form of transportation to get from a to b. So, need/reason for this board, or the pcmo board, or vehicles/automotive boards, or Bitog.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Not really.
whistle.gif

Ahh right..no

not if efficiency ratings are important to you.

ALL of them filters are top notch very high quality and will do the job.

those XE are pretty good filters i run a XE on my ISX Cummings in my International always showed low particle counts,all of them did for that matter.

go for price here...

Thanks for all the replies: I will compare shipping costs. Since Amsoil has a warehouse 4 hours away, shipping is usually reasonable. I visited the local napa to see about the XE...After I asked, he just looked at me with his mouth open... "I said ya that's what I thought" and turned around and walked out... Hence the reason why I just order all my filters online... AZ & O'R = the same results on questions. One of the major drawbacks of living in a very small town.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies: I will compare shipping costs. Since Amsoil has a warehouse 4 hours away, shipping is usually reasonable. I visited the local napa to see about the XE...After I asked, he just looked at me with his mouth open... "I said ya that's what I thought" and turned around and walked out... Hence the reason why I just order all my filters online... AZ & O'R = the same results on questions. One of the major drawbacks of living in a very small town.

Thanks again.

Don't feel bad ours is the same they know nothing of the line except it's fleet use only.

kcfx4: Thanks for your advice, but MC is not within my list... Even though MC makes good quality filters...They are mainly 20 micron filters... When I can install a 10 micron filter... Maybe a bit more, but in my mind well worth it...Considering my 8 injectors replacement is over $4000, and clean oil is what fires those 8 injectors--->No Brainer!! He!! my AIS air filter replacement is over $60... Then again a replacement turbo is right at $1500... In the End I would rather spend the extra money on Filters then wear a $60 pair of blue jeans... When a $20 pair of levis fits pretty dang well...

Where would one go to find out about Wix XE oil filters?
Never heard of them. Not on Wix's website either.

kcfx4: Thanks for your advice, but MC is not within my list... Even though MC makes good quality filters...They are mainly 20 micron filters... When I can install a 10 micron filter... Maybe a bit more, but in my mind well worth it...Considering my 8 injectors replacement is over $4000, and clean oil is what fires those 8 injectors--->No Brainer!! He!! my AIS air filter replacement is over $60... Then again a replacement turbo is right at $1500... In the End I would rather spend the extra money on Filters then wear a $60 pair of blue jeans... When a $20 pair of levis fits pretty dang well...
What does the rate of filtration of the oil have to do with the way the injectors fire? The oil doesn't go through micron openings.

I own a 01 7.3L PSD... I am currently using M1 oil filter...Now I'm looking at these 3 filters...

1.Amsoil EoA {Have used before}
2.Fleetguard (STRATAPORE)
3 Wix 51734XE

I imagine the EoA is a bit better, and with my P/C price... It will be a bit cheaper then the other 2 shipped to my door.

What is everyone's thoughts?

WIX 51734XE > fmsfilters.com > $25.65 in stock
Free shipping over $100, see if they will match Fleet Filter price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: river_rat

Nevermind I found them.

Doing some more looking this morning, I noticed the XE is produced without a By Pass Valve... I need to look into this a bit more.

Thanks Toto for that link.. If I chose to use this filter? I will notify them for a price match.

Nevermind I found them.

There a pretty cool filter huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back