VW Jetta TDI Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 Jetta TDI has 10,000 mile oil change intervals. A VW service guy said it was beneficial not to change the oil before 10K intervals because the lubrication improves over time up to its 10K mark.
Can this be accurate?
I am considering getting a purepower cleanable oil filter that does a much better job at filtration. That along with Schaeffer or Amsoil and I will likely increase the interval 15K.

Stick with OEM or Wix filters. M1 filters if you can get them. VW 504/507 oil. M1 ESP is easy to find at Pep Boys. From there, get a UOA and see if 10k is realistic.

Had an '09. Used M1 ESP and then Amsoil Euro 5w30. Either works.

M1 0w-40,simular diesel Amsoil, should be good up to 15k, depends on driving conditions, Lubro Moly TopTec 5w-40, LM 0w-40, 5w-40 diesel around 10k, Shell t6 5w-40 raound 7k-10k

Guys...this car/engine requires a VW 504/507 oil. M1 0w40 is a big no. Love the oil, but not in this application. Many will tell you no to Amsoil Euro 5w30 because it's not officially approved, but look at the specs. Impressed.

Any oil you use MUST meet specs of or be approved for 504/507. That DPF costs WAY too much to mess around with. This is not your average car/diesel.

Originally Posted By: BigO
My 2011 Jetta TDI has 10,000 mile oil change intervals. A VW service guy said it was beneficial not to change the oil before 10K intervals because the lubrication improves over time up to its 10K mark.
Can this be accurate?
I am considering getting a purepower cleanable oil filter that does a much better job at filtration. That along with Schaeffer or Amsoil and I will likely increase the interval 15K.

The guy is right. I didn't believe it either at first, defies logic. As it was explained to me, the oil is designed to carry soot, and the acid triggers release of anti acid and antioxidants from the oil to neutralize it and keep the ph at a neutral level and provide the best protection. More chemistry than I care to know. Lot of the info is explained in detail on the diesel sites. Tdiclub for one. There are others.
Can't comment on the filter issue. Lot of guys go 15 -25k OCI and there UOAs are available. Driving conditions and "mods" may affect that interval. Enjoy the reading.
The 504/507 reco is accurate, might want to rethink that M1 0w40.

Last edited:
You can do a search for UOAs on the 09+ TDIs. 10k OCIs seem to turn out very well. I don't know if anyone's done 15K on here.

I'd stick to the 10k recommendation with oil recommended (Castrol SLX 5W-30, M1 ESP 5W-30, etc), because TDI engines and DPFs are not cheap.

Many UOA's have shown the 10k OCI to be appropriate. Use 507.00 oils ONLY. I use Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4200 purchased from idparts.com with their oil change kit. Enjoy the car, it's an awesome drive. I love mine.

Last edited:
Loved mine too, but the TDI wasnt the best option with my shortened commute. I used ESP and then Amsoil Euro. Personally, the Amsoil gave me slightly better MPG, but both are great.

I did, however, really like the Amsoil Cetane Boost and Cold Flow improver. Great products that noticeably improved MPG, pep, and cold performance characteristics.

Very nice. Had several MkV Jettas. While this one is different, the 2.5 is way improved over my 05.5. Nice ride, good handling, still a German feel. Miss some things about the MkV, but my 11 is a very nice car.

I installed a Purepower filter on my 7.3 Powerstroke. It's fantastic!! When I change the oil, it literally takes weeks for the oil to darken enough to see it on the dipstick. You don't throw the filter into the landfill, and it will last the life of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back