Just how dangerous is Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a new member.

It was a couple of years ago, I think, that the front page of this site showed off Lucas oil stabilizer. There were pictures of how it would distribute oil better.

I bought some, put it in my car, and then came back to site. I notice that LOS is not held in high regard and actually seems dangerous.

1)Is there a way for my to access the earlier articles on LOS?

2)I took the oil course on the site. It recommends use of lowest possible viscosity of oil to diminish wear on startup. This is because it takes longer for higher viscosity oil to flow freely. An it is the time from start-up to flowing freely that causes the most engine wear. It would seem to me that cars in warmer climates would last a lot longer than cars in colder climates. I would seem to me that cars using LOS in colder climates would not last long at all. Is there something to this?

I'm asking this to try to understand if I should change the oil since I just put in a bottle of LOS.

All the best.

I drive a 1995 Camry using a quart of oil every 2000 miles. Runs great.

If LOS makes you feel good, use it. I think the stuff is just a big-name snake oil, personally.

Good quality oil does not need its formula doctored or changed. Lucas oil stabilizer actually changes the formula and not in a good way. So do any of the canned oil treatments. The word dangerous is not correct.

First of all,
welcome2.gif
You mentioned that you saw the photo, and may have even played with the LOS gear setup at the register at the auto parts store (we all have). It looks good in theory, but keep in mind that the insides of your engine work nothing like that. Still, I'm sure many people use it with no ill effects. I've used it before, several times, and my cars haven't blown up. It did make some startup racket on cold mornings though. Run this current fill the same length that you normally would, and don't worry. But I wouldn't use it next time. It may not do any harm, but it certainly won't help any either.

I used it one in my old Dakota with a 318. After about 800 into the OCI the engine developed a loud whine turns out it increased the viscosity of the oil and was causing oil starvation of the cam. I no longer have that pick up now...
15.gif
cry.gif

Ouch. I think I glanced at it, didn't read it, and though it meant the opposite of what it said.

i have used it in a few high mileage engines. it does its job...which is thicken the oil. people are funny! they wont step up the oil grade on a wore out engine but they will dump a bottle of lucas in!!!
lol.gif

i would just save the money and by the proper grade oil for the application. if you have alot of miles you think about a HM oil like GTX HM or maxlife.

as far as damage... i have not seen any engine damage from using it and i used to work at an oil change shop where they put it in 50 or so cars a week. the moto was if it had 100k sell em some lucas for 12 bucks and up the ticket average. not saying its right but non blew up

When SeaFoam shot up from $3 to $9, I bought a 32oz bottle of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant/fuel system treatment/fuel stabilizer/burns hot hot hot/highly refined pure Amazonian anaconda oil...etc... for $7

I don't really believe that it does 9/10ths of the stuff it says it does though.

All I really expect it to do is be an upper-cylinder lubricant. And maybe, maybe lubricate the fuel pump and injectors.

I only use it every few fill-ups. I still have a bit.

I won't use Lucas oil treatment. Or any other molasses thick "treatment" like STP, MotorHoney, MotorSnot...whatever. I would just as soon thicken my oil with corn-starch as use those products.

When I sold cars we had a manager who was clueless and had no business taking trades. He took many trades that were garbage. The shop would often report back to us that he took in a POS for a trade. They added Lucas to oil burners, and knockers to quiet them down to make them wholesale ready. In fact a few retail gems got a treatment of LOS as well. For an oil burning, knocking pig it can help. In a good running engine I'd stay clear of it.

Thinking back I wouldn't be surprised if a customer or two tossed in some LOS to get their trade ready. LOL the knife cuts both ways! When a customer gets over on a dealer more power to him!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When I sold cars we had a manager who was clueless and had no business taking trades. He took many trades that were garbage. The shop would often report back to us that he took in a POS for a trade. They added Lucas to oil burners, and knockers to quiet them down to make them wholesale ready. In fact a few retail gems got a treatment of LOS as well. For an oil burning, knocking pig it can help. In a good running engine I'd stay clear of it.

Thinking back I wouldn't be surprised if a customer or two tossed in some LOS to get their trade ready. LOL the knife cuts both ways! When a customer gets over on a dealer more power to him!

Ive also heard of a couple quarts of 85w140 to shutup a knocking motor for trade in.

I know to many big trucks that have used the stuff religiously for a million miles to think it will actually hurt the engine (at 10% of sump capacity). It will slightly shorten the drain interval (dilutes additive levels) and bring the oil viscosity at 25,000 miles back to virgin level.

That said most people change oil early and their is no reason a 5-10% loss in viscosity is going to hurt the engine and Ive seen engines go a million miles without it as well.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Ive also heard of a couple quarts of 85w140 to shutup a knocking motor for trade in.

True, but Lucas doesn't have that gear oil smell which can give using gear oil away sometimes. LOL

If a few did not buy Lucas then there would not be that gear thing at the counter to amuse our kids (ha ha) when we take them into the auto parts stores with us. I don't think adults would actually fool with the gear thing however. Maybe once.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
I was told several times over a few years by truckers it was the FUEL treatment by the gallon. Not oil.

It's both I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back