Sea foam before an oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to give the neighborhood a "smoke show" tomorrow. Going to do the Sea Foam through the brake booster line. Then, planning on changing the oil. I've read you should also change the spark plugs, too after sea foaming an engine. Is that right? And should I change oil right after I do the sea foam? Oh, also, it will be on the 99 Blazer, 4.3, 190K miles. Thanks

I've done the seafoam, before, and after, didn't notice a difference either time.....the hooplah behind doing it "before" the OCI is the off-chance that some of the seafoam leaks down into the oil.....BUT, have no fear, Seafoam is SAFE for motor oil use!

The whole deal with changing plugs afterwards is more hooplah....typically, what happens on older vehicles, that have extreme carbon build up, the seafoam will "known some loose" that messes up the spark plugs, or in the off chance an o2 sensor....as the seafoam burns up, and passes through the tail pipe....

So no, I wouldn't change out the plugs unless it is "that time again".......

1 thing in closing, add the 1.5 oz. per quart to the crank case first. Then add the recommended concentration to the gas tank (typically 1 oz. per gallon of fuel in the tank....), THEN let the vehicle warm up first, then throw the seafoam down the vac line of the warmed up vehicle.....it'll be like a triple clean, you got the seafoam in the engine cleaning up, you got it in the gas, cleaning the fuel rail, injectors, etc.....and then you'll have it going through the intake, to an extent "meeting in the middle" with the seafoam in the fuel.....for a good cleaning effect.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
1 thing in closing, add the 1.5 oz. per quart to the crank case first. Then add the recommended concentration to the gas tank (typically 1 oz. per gallon of fuel in the tank....), THEN let the vehicle warm up first, then throw the seafoam down the vac line of the warmed up vehicle.....it'll be like a triple clean, you got the seafoam in the engine cleaning up, you got it in the gas, cleaning the fuel rail, injectors, etc.....and then you'll have it going through the intake, to an extent "meeting in the middle" with the seafoam in the fuel.....for a good cleaning effect.

Sounds like a good plan. I think they suggest using Kreen in a similar fashion, adding it to the gas and oil at the same time. Only you run the Kreen longer in the oil, and skip the vacuum line routine.

After "seafoaming" through the brake line, the intermittent CEL P0420 was on for good. Forced me to deal with the $900 replacement cost before I could pass inspection. Hope your cat converter is not on the edge like mine was. Seafoam will finish it off. BTW the white smoke is just the Seafoam and whatever lubricant is in it, carbon is dark smoke.

Thank guys. I did the smoke show this afternoon. Sucked about a half of a can through the brake vacuum line before it stalled out. I also cleaned the MAF sensor, and douched out the throttle body with some cleaner. And changed the air filter. Anyways, let the Seafoam sit for about 20 minutes, fired it up, and ran it down the road. Mosquito fogger deluxe! Got home, and and had a "Check engine" light on. Tried disconnecting the battery, but to no avail. Wnt to Autozone, guy checked it out. It was the MAF sensor code. I told him I had it off, and cleaned it. He reset it, and now no light. Butt dyno says the blazer is running better. Seems like more "pep". Changed the oil. (6 mo. OCI) Had about 4200 miles on it. Out came the QSHM 5w-30, and in went Pennsoil HM 5w-30, with a P1 filter. I'm good until next April. I might drain a quart out in February, and replace it with a quart of MMO. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back