Need Specs For Mopar ATF +4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can find specs on many other brands of ATF+4 but not Mopars. I'm having issues with my transmission, it's like it really doesn't have sythetic fluids in it, it won't shift when it's 25 or Below any other temp seems to work. It's like the fluid is to thick or something. So I need info on the pour point for Mopars fluid. If someone could help that would be great.

Last edited:
Some folks add Lubegard:

http://lubegard.com/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

...to transmissions with ATF+4. This helped my shifting into Reverse on cold starts, delayed shifting, etc.

Mopar ATF+4 should be just fine, any ATF+4 for that matter.

When was the last time you had the transmission serviced or the fluid changed?

Please elaborate on 'wont shift'. That happened to an older Stratus I used to have, the Vehicle Speed Sensor had failed.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Some folks add Lubegard:

http://lubegard.com/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

...to transmissions with ATF+4. This helped my shifting into Reverse on cold starts, delayed shifting, etc.

Mopar ATF+4 should be just fine, any ATF+4 for that matter.

When was the last time you had the transmission serviced or the fluid changed?

Please elaborate on 'wont shift'. That happened to an older Stratus I used to have, the Vehicle Speed Sensor had failed.

It shifts but takes time to get through all the gears, the convertor doesn't seem to want to lock in, high rpms but i'm not moving fast. I have 55,000 on it, this is suppose to be good for 100,000 and I don't drive severe or tow.

Last edited:
Change the fluid or take it in and have the dealership look at it.

Many transmissions won't lock the converter until a certain fluid temperature is reached. Does it do this constantly or only when the transmission is cold?

Sounds like OD isn't engaging, change the fluid and filter(if applicable; get a dealer filter kit) with some ATF+4 and perhaps add some of the Lubegard Red AFTER first seeing if the fluid change helps enough.

Also, wait until at full temp for a while, like on the interstate or highway, then punch it see if it goes into OD, TC lockup.

This is for you new vehicle in the sig? 50,000 miles is usually the time to get the factory fill out by. Have you changed the fluid already?

Personally, I like Valvoline's ATF+4 but Mopar ATF+4 is fine as well. Please, change the fluid and report back. I'd change the filter as well...

Sounds like a normal Chrysler trans programming. I used to have a Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5L in it and it did the samething. The trans I know is different behind 3.5L in the 300. But it could be the same for fluid temp. Here is the specs for trans fluid temp operation for the 42LE trans that was behide the 3.5L in the Trep from the FSM:

OPERATION CHARACTERISTICS AT VARIOUS FLUID TEMPERATURES
Overview
42LE transaxle shift schedule depends on temperature of transaxle fluid. The shift schedule is modified to
extend life of transaxle while operating under extreme conditions. Transaxle fluid temperature is measured by
transmission temperature sensor, located in Transmission Range (TR) sensor.
If transmission temperature sensor fails, TCM will default to a calculated fluid temperature which is calculated
from a combination of inputs. Calculated fluid temperature is continually updated and retained in memory for
20 minutes after ignition switch is turned off. When vehicle is started after an extended OFF time, calculated
fluid temperature is reinitialized at a value between battery temperature and engine coolant temperature signals
received from PCM. Calculated fluid temperature may become inaccurate during extreme operation, causing
incorrect shift schedule. Highlights of various shift schedules are as follows:

Extreme Cold Fluid Less Than -16°F (-26°C)

Park, Reverse, Neutral and 2nd gear only.

Cold Fluid -12°F (11°C) To Less Than 36°F (2°C)

Delayed 2-3 upshift (22-31 MPH).
Delayed 3-4 upshift (45-53 MPH).
Early 4-3 coast downshift (30 MPH).
Early 3-2 coast downshift (17 MPH).
Prevented high speed 4-2, 3-2, 2-1 kickdown shifts.
No TCC.

Warm Fluid 36°F (2°C) To Less Than 80°F (27°C)

Normal operation.
No TCC.

Hot Fluid 80°F (27°C) To Less Than 250°F (121°C)

Normal operation.
Full TCC engagement (except closed throttle operation,70-83 MPH).

Overheated Fluid Greater Than 230°F (110°C)

Delayed 2-3 upshift (25-32 MPH).
Delayed 3-4 upshift (41-48 MPH).
3rd gear full TCC engagement from 30-48 MPH.
3rd gear partial TCC engagement from 27-31 MPH.

Super Overheated Fluid Greater Than 240°F (116°C)

Delayed 2-3 upshift (25-32 MPH).
Delayed 3-4 upshift (41-48 MPH).
3rd gear full TCC engagement from 30-48 MPH.
3rd gear partial TCC engagement from 27-31 MPH.
2nd gear partial TCC engagement above 22 MPH.
TCC will not unlock above 22 MPH unless throttle is closed.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Change the fluid or take it in and have the dealership look at it.

Many transmissions won't lock the converter until a certain fluid temperature is reached. Does it do this constantly or only when the transmission is cold?

Only when Cold outside.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Sounds like OD isn't engaging, change the fluid and filter(if applicable; get a dealer filter kit) with some ATF+4 and perhaps add some of the Lubegard Red AFTER first seeing if the fluid change helps enough.

Also, wait until at full temp for a while, like on the interstate or highway, then punch it see if it goes into OD, TC lockup.

This is for you new vehicle in the sig? 50,000 miles is usually the time to get the factory fill out by. Have you changed the fluid already?

Personally, I like Valvoline's ATF+4 but Mopar ATF+4 is fine as well. Please, change the fluid and report back. I'd change the filter as well...

I haven't changed the fluid yet. Looking into getting this serviced next monday.

In my experience, it is normal for shifts to take longer to complete when the transmission is very cold. And as strongt outlined above in detail, transmission programming changes the behaviour significantly when cold. I know the transmission in my 1997 i30 takes a long time to warm up when it is freezing cold outside. Newer cars do much better in this respect, I suspect because they have a thermostat in the ATF cooling circuit.

Originally Posted By: Topo
I can find specs on many other brands of ATF+4 but not Mopars. I'm having issues with my transmission, it's like it really doesn't have sythetic fluids in it, it won't shift when it's 25 or Below any other temp seems to work. It's like the fluid is to thick or something. So I need info on the pour point for Mopars fluid. If someone could help that would be great.

ATF+4 has to be blended with a group III oil that meets Chrysler's specs and a specific additive package to labeled as a ATF+4 correct? If so all would be almost the same as the next brand and performance could not be too much off either.

^I've heard from folks that if gone too long without servicing the TCM needs to be reprogrammed; on some C/D transmissions; especially models back in the ATF+III > ATF+4 transition.

get an external trans fluid filter, auto zone 2210, 3/8 tube size i think thats the right size. if not wix 58964 5/16 tube size might be right. be sure after the tubing is cut that it is bulged to hold the hose. may high pressure hose

Sounds normal, many autos won't shift normally or at least won't go into overdrive until the trans reaches operating temp. I would suggest you garage it in the winter if you can, or add a magnetic pan heater and keep it plugged in when parked outside. Go ahead and change the fluid also, it can only help and driving in cold weather IS severe service IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back