Having tires installed on chrome wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have tires mounted on chrome wheels, do you make sure the installer uses plastic tire irons so they don't scratch the chrome?

I take a video when I get out of my car showing the store I am at, each wheel is free from damage, and then walk inside to hand the keys off. I also mention that the wheels are a optional factory chrome wheel to the person I hand the keys to. When I get the car back I inspect each wheel carefully.

I have the highest optional wheels on my Q50s so I will have to do this as I need 2 tires installed soon. I rather they think I am a a-hole then give my car to the newest kid to mess up my wheels.

Almost forgot. I also take video showing the dash showing each wheel sensor is working in good condition. Thats one some tire shops will try to say it was that way before you got there.

Originally Posted by Jimzz

Almost forgot. I also take video showing the dash showing each wheel sensor is working in good condition. Thats one some tire shops will try to say it was that way before you got there.

Probably good to thing to do.

For all of my cars I always use the same guy at the same tire store. Way back, I actually "interviewed" the tire store. I explained my expectations and had them re-assure me that they were capable of doing what I was asking.

In order to facilitate a proper job, I R&R all the wheels and thoroughly clean them and remove the existing stick on weights (including the foam backing and residual adhesive). For my "preferred" cars I take my wheels in "loose".

I set expectations thoroughly, including the new wheels weights are properly aligned (and not cocked). I have them calibrate their balance machine before they balance my tires. And, of course, absolutely no rim gouging.

To further set my expectations, I remain there until the job is complete and I tip the installer $20 per wheel - TWENTY DOLLARS PER WHEEL. I inspect each wheel as they are done. My tire store knows me well. We have a mutually beneficial relationship.

Scott

Mechanic here:

Never seen a plastic tire iron. We had a different machine we'd use for alloy wheels, spray painted ones, or anything else where scuffs are a concern. It's a touch-less machine - it secures the wheel through the lug holes, and centers it with a plastic cone through the center. The arm that would swing down to break the bead is plastic, and the "duckbill" that would do the mounting/demounting was plastic lined, with its own pneumatic tire iron built in. Through the whole process, the only pieces that would touch the wheel are the tire itself, and the mounting through the center.

Your best bet, IMO, would be to call to either tire shops to dealers that are used to dealing with higher end products. They'll be better equipped to meet your expectations

It was a slightly older version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVStKTsglPA

Quality chrome shouldn't. But there's enough cheap chrome out there, I think it's a valid concern

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
For all of my cars I always use the same guy at the same tire store. Way back, I actually "interviewed" the tire store. I explained my expectations and had them re-assure me that they were capable of doing what I was asking.

In order to facilitate a proper job, I R&R all the wheels and thoroughly clean them and remove the existing stick on weights (including the foam backing and residual adhesive). For my "preferred" cars I take my wheels in "loose".

I set expectations thoroughly, including the new wheels weights are properly aligned (and not cocked). I have them calibrate their balance machine before they balance my tires. And, of course, absolutely no rim gouging.

To further set my expectations, I remain there until the job is complete and I tip the installer $20 per wheel - TWENTY DOLLARS PER WHEEL. I inspect each wheel as they are done. My tire store knows me well. We have a mutually beneficial relationship.

Scott
I was going to suggest bringing the wheels in but you took it to an entirely different level! Bravo, sir!

I had a "touchless" shop mount tires on my Volvo wheels. They gouged paint off the rim of every wheel.

They bought me a new set of wheels.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I was going to suggest bringing the wheels in but you took it to an entirely different level! Bravo, sir!

Bravo? Bravo!!?? Thank you! My wife thinks I'm OCD!

Scott

I've seen chrome scratched on many wheels, so chrome does in fact scratch, and it doesn't happen only to cheap wheels. I just don't know what they doing to scratch them....I just want to make sure the wheels I have don't get damaged in the process of installing tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back