Screw and nail, same tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple weeks ago I got a small nail in the RR tire of the TSX. Getting it patched was on my to-do list but it wasn't losing air so I was procrastinating. Leaving a wedding at 11PM on Sat in the pouring rain I heard and felt something in the tire (I wasn't too keen on get out and look) so, hoping it was a rock, I made it home 130 miles in the rain. I looked yesterday and it's a screw with a broad head. Anyway, can I expect it to be patched? The Michelin Pilot tires on the TSX aren't cheap so I hope it can. I'll be taking it to STS today and want to make sure I'm right in saying thanks but no thanks when they try to sell me a tire(s).

I think the industry standard is this: a tire can be repaired if,

The puncture is 1/4" or smaller;
There are no more than three punctures per tire (including the current one);
The three punctures have to be spread evenly around the tire (cannot have three bunched together); and,
The puncture cannot be in the sidewall or the outer tread block.

There may be variances here and there, but I think those are the general guidelines. One of the tires on our Acura has had two or three repairs. I pray that it doesn't get another puncture before I'm ready to replace, because we're nearing replacement on all four (but I'm not ready to buy yet).

Put a plug in it and let it eat. If it worries you - keep it on the rear - the rear tires are just along for the ride in a FWD anyway. You'll just have to buy front tires more often as they are the ones that see wear.

Hmm. These are definitely smaller than 1/4" (even though the head of the screw isn't) but they happen to be directly across from each other. The nail is about 1/4 of the way in from the inside and the screw is about 1/4 of the way in from the outside.

Last edited:
Two punctures? I wouldnt be comfortable with that personally. How far apart are they? 180 degrees or closer?

http://www.rma.org/tire-safety/tire-repair/

tire-repair.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If it worries you - keep it on the rear - the rear tires are just along for the ride in a FWD anyway.

It is actually safer to have a blowout on the front tires. On the front you can still steer with the remaining tire. A blow out in the back is much more dangerous and could cause you to lose control.

Also, if you experience a blowout, the safest way to recover is to immediately accelerate to stabilize the car and then slowly come to a stop by letting off the gas, using the brakes as little as possible. Many inexperienced drivers will slam on the brakes when they have a blowout, which could cause a rollover.

http://www.policeone.com/suspect-pursuit...y-consequences/

If both punctures are properly repaired (meaning they're in the portion of a tire where they can be properly repaired and the correct repair is used) then you could be fine.

What does your tire manufacturer say about repairs? I think I remember seeing something in a tire doc once about the maximum number of repairs, but now I can't remember. Some companies may specify a maximum number of repairs per tire.

If the first screw wasn't leaking, how do you even know it punctured the tire? If it's not leaking, don't repair that one. Just repair the one that actually punctured the tire.

Here's a little more info.

I did a casual search and looked through the Michelin and Bridgestone pamphlets and both have limited info on it. Michelin does say something about the amount of damage to radial plies per tire casing.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Appr...romise_Plan.pdf

Generally they also mention RMA tire repair procedures:
http://www.rma.org/wp-content/uploads/prp_wallchart1111.pdf

They say don't repair any tire that already has an improperly done repair (meaning not a patch plug).

They also say repairs cannot overlap, which seems to indicate more than one repair is OK. But they say to defer to the max number of allowed repairs by the tire manufacturer. I can't seem to find that info. You may need to email the manufacturer of your tire and see what they say.

I'm sure member Capriracer can pass along some useful info.

Took it to STS. They confirmed a nail and a screw. The man who did the work told me the nail was a tiny bit farther out toward the edge than they like to patch (slightly to the left of the first vertical line on Ken2's pic above) but he said he was able to get it on there. $28 for the two patches.

Well when washing the car today I noticed a small bulge in the sidewall. The nail was on the inside so it wasn't from that and the screw was more toward the center, unless it entered on an angle and got the inside of the sidewall?

So now I have to decide whether to get a tire from tirerack and have it put on at another garage or take it to the dealership as I could use the rotors turned, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back