Cooper CS4 Touring (T-Rated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy's Prius needs size 185/65-15. Pep Boys quoted me $350 out-the-door after rebate for a set of four. The price includes lifetime balancing, flat repairs, TPMS rebuild and pro-rated road hazard.

Does anyone have any experience with the T-rated version of this tire? I've been trying to find a set of the H-rated version, but Pep Boys doesn't stock it.

Thanks!

I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm getting the same tires for my wifes 08 CR-V. These tires have gotten a lot of good reviews on the Honda forums.

Just curious when you say TPMS rebuild, what do you mean? New valve stems?

I am getting the Cooper CS4 H rated ones put on my 08 Corolla this Saturday. After a lot of research, these tires seem to be a great value. They have excellent traction and I have heard they are extremely quiet (similar to the excellent Comfortreds I have on my Saturn).

Out the door with lifetime balance/rotate, TPMS rebuild, and road hazard, we are looking at 414.00. Then add in the Cooper rebate of 50 bucks and 41 dollars off for opening up a store credit card, and I am coming in at 323.00, which is a great deal IMHO.

I'll do anything to get rid of these deathtrap Goodyear Integrity tires that have only 20,000 on them but are horrible.

Saturn Fan,

Have you check out General Altimax HP? There $60 @ TireRack & have excellent Testing & or Customer Ratings.

Regards,
~Button

Originally Posted By: Button
Saturn Fan,

Have you check out General Altimax HP? There $60 @ TireRack & have excellent Testing & or Customer Ratings.

Regards,
~Button

I haven't checked them out, but I will now because of your post. I do remember somewhere that these are excellent tires at a great value.

I'll check em' out!

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Button
Saturn Fan,

Regards,
~Button

My brother bought a pair for the fronts on his Ion. I like the tread pattern. The only reason why I wouldn't go with them personally is because they are directional tires and I like to cross rotate. the RT version are not directional.

Besides the slight drop in MPGs, I've heard nothing but good things about these tires.

I remember treadepot having some Cs4s under 60 bucks in some sizes.(on sale(.

These tires rated below middling in CR's latest T-rated tire tests (14th out of 23 tires). They rated only "Good" in dry braking, handling, hydroplaning, and most everything else (or worse). The only metrics in which they scored above "Good" was snow traction and wet braking.

There appear to be better choices out there, based on their testing. Unfortunately, that's the only objective testing I've seen on this recently popular tire. It's always good to have at least two or more data points. But, for what it's worth, those are the results they got.

The CS4 Touring has a below average rolling resistance, meaning he might be rather disappointed to see a non-trivial MPG penalty. It'd be okay if the tire were remarkable in other areas, but at least compared to its contemporary rivals, it doesn't appear to be.

What are your friends' priorities in new tires? Handling? Winter traction? Ride? Fuel economy? You often cannot get all of these attributes, but based on what his preferences are, he can get much closer in some tires than in others.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
These tires rated below middling in CR's latest T-rated tire tests (14th out of 23 tires). They rated only "Good" in dry braking, handling, hydroplaning, and most everything else (or worse). The only metrics in which they scored above "Good" was snow traction and wet braking.

There appear to be better choices out there, based on their testing. Unfortunately, that's the only objective testing I've seen on this recently popular tire. It's always good to have at least two or more data points. But, for what it's worth, those are the results they got.

The CS4 Touring has a below average rolling resistance, meaning he might be rather disappointed to see a non-trivial MPG penalty. It'd be okay if the tire were remarkable in other areas, but at least compared to its contemporary rivals, it doesn't appear to be.

What are your friends' priorities in new tires? Handling? Winter traction? Ride? Fuel economy? You often cannot get all of these attributes, but based on what his preferences are, he can get much closer in some tires than in others.

I don't think he cares too much, aside from having something that will fit his budget, be safe on the road and isn't ridiculously noisy. I don't think rolling resistance is going to be an issue since we're talking about 5% at most here.

Looking at CR's test results, it appears that our favorite Avid TRZ is now ranked below the CS4 Touring. However, the Avid TRZ does have very good ratings for dry/wet traction, which is far more important to me than snow/ice.

Either way, I don't think there are any tires on the market that are truly unsafe. But likewise, I am not sure who to trust when it comes to tire testing. TireRack, which is supposedly the trusted source for tire testing, comes back with very different results than CR.

With that said, the Cooper CS4 tires are $350 installed from Pep Boys after $135 of rebates.

The Kumho KH16 also appears to be a solid choice, and costs $370 installed from Sears.

Any other tires that I should consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back