Small Car for Big Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to pick up a small econobox type car. The ones I plan to check out at this point are the Yaris, Corolla, Xa, Elantra, and Vibe. I want stick, reliability, and good MPG. I'm 6-2 and about 300, so I want to make sure I won't feel cramped on any long trips. Besides the ones I've mentioned, does anybody else have any suggestions?

My Cobalt has a ton of leg room. I'm 6', 225 and can't drive comfortably with the seat rolled all the way back.

Joel

I'm about 6'2, 200, and drove my Metro about 3000 miles in a week with no difficulty. Don't recall feeling cramped. Of course you'd have to find a used one...

Quote:

My Cobalt has a ton of leg room. I'm 6', 225 and can't drive comfortably with the seat rolled all the way back.

Joel

Then why roll it all the way back?

Oh I just like to test it from time to time just to see if I grew any.
smirk.gif
A fat guy thing maybe?
fruit.gif

Joel

Find yourself the new 8th gen civic (1.8L iVtec). It has enough head and leg room for up to approx. 6'3" and fuel ecomony is surprisingly good!

Quote:

I want to pick up a small econobox type car. The ones I plan to check out at this point are the Yaris, Corolla, Xa, Elantra, and Vibe. I want stick, reliability, and good MPG. I'm 6-2 and about 300, so I want to make sure I won't feel cramped on any long trips. Besides the ones I've mentioned, does anybody else have any suggestions?

Go to the dealers and shop around and pick your favorite.

I normally have no problems with head or shoulder room. My typical problem is a cramped right leg next to the left side of the center counsel or the steering wheel being too low and hitting the top of my thighs.

Well, if econobox means mpg and price is what drives you, see if you can pony the $20k for an outgoing Accord. Better than spending $16-$18 on a lesser car. If price is a concern, Corolla should yield the most car for the less money.

I'm 6-3 and am real comfy in a Ford Focus. Good, supportive seat and plenty of headroom and shoulder room. I know its not on your list but check it out.

I forgot to put Focus on my list. The last time I checked them out you couldn't get cruise, stick and wagon in the same car. Is that still true? Yeah Xb's look like they should have some room inside, can anyone attest to the legroom in Xa's and Xb's? Elements seem pricier and more gas hungry than most of the other cars?

Quote:

honda element is just dead sexy to me. i dont know why that is. you all can laugh now.

The Element is a functional small sport utility...nothing at all to laugh about...they come with the big 4...smooth...I dunno why they don't sell more...Form follows function...I remember when it first came out...Car And Driver drove one up the Alaskan highway...they ran up 10250 miles in just 18 days...

"We really liked the Element for this type of trip. It held all our stuff, including a large travel refrigerator. We had no second thoughts while packing—we took everything! Still had room to use the right-side front and rear seats as a bed. This proved to be very comfortable for catnaps. We would drive 12 to 15 hours a day and felt good to go every morning. Lots of legroom, front and back. Good cruise control. Nice bins on the dash, and we really liked the cubby on the ceiling. All the controls work well and make sense. The radio was super, and the 'Aux' plug allowed us to use a tape player for our books on tape. At the end of this trip, all three of us agreed that this is one fine road-trip vehicle. Drive it all day, every day for a week, and you will fall for this car. It is that good."

This is what the Ferguson's had to say...writing for Car And Driver...about the Element in Alaska...
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back