Need advice re: Taurus repairs (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the Mechanical forum. Feel free to move)

I have had my current 2005 Taurus wagon for a year and a half. About 4 months ago, I was having serious problems with rough idle, stalling, hestitation and random warning lights/messages lighting up on my dash (i.e. Check Brake System during a stall).

Took it to a local independent shop that I have used before for minor stuff. Their diagnois was I needed a new engine computer (I believe they said the PCM) and parts and labor cost me $1100. Ouch.

Things were fine for about 3 months. Now I'm having the same problems and more - rough idle, stalling, hesitation, radio dropping out when I use the power windows(?), codes P0351 and P0353 showed up too. Today the A/C worked intermittently.

Seems like some kind of major electrical problem, which terrifies me (I am worrying about $$$). So my question is:

a) do I go back to the independent shop that may or may not have fixed my original problem properly, or

b) take it to the local Ford dealership for service, thinking they have more experience (hopefully) with this kind of thing.

[censored] I'm stressing about this. Money's tight (wife and I are both out of a job) and I want to fix this once the right way.

Suggestions?

wish you were in my neck of the woods. I would do it for free. If it is the pcm which is the powertrain control module and it already happened recently you have a wiring issue. fords seem to be bad for their grounds. sanding all ground points and putting a bit of dielectric grease on them solves tons of problems and future ones as well. You got hosed by the way on the last computer. It is a 30 minute job and the computer should be readily available at the auto wrecker or at least on line for a decent price.

Yeah I would check grounds as well, also get the battery and alternator checked and the connections on each. Maybe the alternator connection is coming off.

Originally Posted By: abycat
for some reason that adress came up wacked. It pretty much solves your problem though.

Fixed it for you - Link

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: abycat
for some reason that adress came up wacked. It pretty much solves your problem though.

Fixed it for you - Link

Thanks buddy.

Thanks for the link. Not sure I am up to the task of removing the part and replacing the coils and plugs, or testing wiring to see if it is grounded. I don't have any expertise in those areas so I'm limited to option a or b or c if anyone knows a good honest mechanic in the Atlanta area.

You should go over to Taurusclub and ask over there. It's rare for the PCM to go out and it's much easier to find parts at the junkyard these days than to buy new parts. Also when was the last time you changed the plugs? They're supposed to be 100k plugs so you're at that now. If you have a bad coil, you can move it around and see if the code follows the coil or not, if not, it's not the coil.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/

Start here

http://forscan.org/

Then here

Welcome to The Taurus Experience©™
65d26a0285798126d609849633ac95de1df41199b353994041d0ae0fdb4d16fa.jpg

Also, I think you got hosed with the PCM replacement.
Did you pay with a disputable method of payment?

I cant find a recall but ask the dealer about a recall or complimentary fix (probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask).
This is looking like about a $500 DIY repair otherwise.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/110629-ut-oh-p0351-p0352-p0353.html

Another option is going to pick a part and get a used one with the coils and a new set of plugs. Not the best route but when things are tight, well you know.
You might get away for $75, nothing difficult about this job, its easily within the DIY.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maint...our-taurus.html

Do a lot of reading and maybe find someone who knows a little bit give you a hand.

Full list of the Taurus' problems written here documented for my own use and so I can show this/read it off to the service advisor:

For a couple weeks:
-OBDII codes: P0351, P0355
-Rough idle
-Rough when driving
-Sometimes perfectly smooth when driving, then rough again.
-Radio drops out for a second, sometimes when using power windows.

Yesterday:
-First two keys turns in ignition - nothing. No sound, no clicking. Third time, car started.
-A/C worked intermittently - sometimes blew tepid air, sometimes blew cold air.
-Check Brake System message came up while stopping -- engine almost stalled

Today:
- dashboard info settings (i.e. miles left, current avg mpg, compass heading on-off) all reset each time I start the care. Trip odomoter remains intact between starts, though.

It could certainly be a bad ground as others have posted but who knows, something like this difficult to diagnose without getting hands on.
Even educated guess are just that guesses. It never fails when times are tough something comes along to really beat you down. Hope you come out of this one okay.

Thanks for the good wishes. I've read up a bit on these symptoms and some people simply changed their battery and the symptoms went away. Gonna try that first -- if it doesn't work, I can always return the battery.

4 days and 100 miles after changing the battery, all the symptoms have gone away. Not 100% ready to declare victory yet, but if this problem-free driving continues I'll be glad I didn't take it back to that original shop. Grrrrrr.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
4 days and 100 miles after changing the battery, all the symptoms have gone away. Not 100% ready to declare victory yet, but if this problem-free driving continues I'll be glad I didn't take it back to that original shop. Grrrrrr.

If the symptoms return, charge the battery if you have a charger or AutoZone or Oreillys will charge it for free and if the symptoms go away then it looks like it's not charging right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back