APR tunes the VW Gen 3 EA888 1.8t

Status
Not open for further replies.
And gets 245HP

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_trans.html

18_tsi_gen3_trans_s0_vs_s1_93_cc.png

Also note the stock car puts out better than rated horsepower, which has become expected with TSI's.

Wheelhorsepower for 5speed.

18_tsi_gen3_trans_s0_vs_s1_93_cw.png

Interesting but the folks who do that to my wife car (2005 Legacy GT wagon) are complaining about blown up this or that eventually.

Subarus are off topic, but:

With possible exception of the clutch you'd have to be doing something pretty dumb to blow up a VW with a stage 1 software update IMO.

With APR's "Clutch Protection" one might not even have to worry about the clutch and Gen 3 cars may come with stronger clutches... Some of the folks who have had clutches replaced in the TSI's have reported a new part number and increased pedal firmness. Not sure anyone has had a Gen3 apart.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

With possible exception of the clutch you'd have to be doing something pretty dumb to blow up a VW with a stage 1 software update IMO.

Impressed with the #'s but does the tuner make a tune that lasts? Stage 1 which I missed I am guessing is pure software update no change in exhaust system correct? That is what it means in Subie terms.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Impressed with the #'s but does the tuner make a tune that lasts? Stage 1 which I missed I am guessing is pure software update no change in exhaust system correct? That is what it means in Subie terms.

That is my understanding software only...

I have no personal experience but APR has a pretty good rep in VW circles.

I have been thinking about an APR Stage 1 tune for my car for about a year. Reason why I have not done it yet is basically due to VW reliability issues. Water pump failures, intake manifold failures, tensionor failures, which are all "known" problems. I just had my Water Pump replaced on a my car at 12k miles.

People say, "oh those are known problems and have nothing to do with the tune" CORRECT BUT these issues may be amplified by placing more stress on the components, of which a tune would do by increasing boost, etc.

I have modified cars for over 20 yrs, and for the past 10 yrs I have been modifying Lancer Evolutions for DD and track duty. I was spoiled with the Evo and its reliability. Now I step into VW arena. As much as I love the GTI and all, I do not have the confidence with this car or the TSI as I did with the Evo and the 4G63.

I mean look under the hood of the GTI for example, The TSI on paper looks stout internally, but when you consider modifications, you see WAY too much plastic bits that would have to be upgraded to hold boost properly. Example? The intake manifold, intercooler, intercooler plumbiing, diverter valve, not to mention a plastic water pump and housing. All this does not add up to reliability when the boost goes up.

Though this is just my "opinion" and im basing my opinion on modifying cars since 1991 and though I am no "pro" I just feel certain applications are best left alone. This being one of them.

Will a Stage 1 tune really mess things up? Its a coin toss IMO and to be honest 50/50 are odds I just dont like to have in a DD car.

Now if APR would give a warranty with their tunes like DINAN does for BMW?? Then that would be a different story.

Just my ten cents....
07.gif

Let the bashing begin.

Jeff

Last edited:
while the gains are very impressive, APR's dyno sheets always seem [censored] to me. Always over inflated somehow someway.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
while the gains are very impressive, APR's dyno sheets always seem [censored] to me. Always over inflated somehow someway.

I think that's why they posted the comparison video. You're either happy with this level of performance gain or you're not.

funny u have a list of japan cars. Does Apr ever mod japan cars and how did u reach this conclusion?

It's irrelevant if it not only applies to VW the fact is VW has them.

I know APR knows their stuff. It's too bad that their "dealers" are not as good as they are. Horror stories galore. APR gave a warranty like Dinan they would get more business.

Just my ten cents.

Jeff

I only have BMW's currently, but that doesn't mean I don't pay close attention to Porsche (looking to snag a 997 GT3 RS; friend has the incredible and incredibly rare RS 4.0 that I constantly try to buy from him).

Nlecsan your 328 puts out about the same whp as my last tracked Evo 9 MR. Loved that car. Cops did too unfortunately ha ha.

Good times.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: taurus_sable

funny u have a list of japan cars. Does Apr ever mod japan cars and how did u reach this conclusion?

I dont see how the cars i list have anything to do with my experience with another brand of car?

APR doesn't do japan cars, but i'm pretty well versed in the 1.8T AWP motor and the 2.0T FSI motor. I've been to enough dyno days and off the shelf ECU flashes on the 2.0T to know that APR's website numbers are inflated. But the gains are there, just not as high as they claim.

For just a tune on a otherwise stock motor even down to the paper air filter APR's gains are actually quite good. You make a solid 20-25 whp gain for $600 that is cheap!!!

The thing is for me that I'm new to VW and not sure how the car will hold up modified. Under the hood has so much potential but given the plastic bits holding all the boost?

Anyway VW folks will say I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I was spoiled by 10 yrs of modifying Evo's and never having one failure in 10 yrs on or off the track. This not limited to one Evo but 4 of them. All were bullet proof even after making double the stock HP.

My VW? Already blew a water pump in the 1st year of ownership. I'm not impressed.

My point? If the car isn't reliable stock? Then how do you think it's going to be modified? Is that a risk I would take at this point? NOPE.

Jeff

Last edited:
APR's rep is taking a real hit in the Audi B5 S4 community recently. After all of the business S4 owners gave Arin, he turned around and basically told them as a group to F off after they caught him lying about performace numbers over in Europe. I lurk in their sub forums as they have the same engine as my A6 and they really know their stuff.

I'd avoid APR like the plague. If you want to find the real experts, check out nefmoto. They are truly the passionate people and they openly and freely share their information and are not looking to profit off of anyone.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
APR's rep is taking a real hit in the Audi B5 S4 community recently. After all of the business S4 owners gave Arin, he turned around and basically told them as a group to F off after they caught him lying about performance numbers over in Europe. ...

I bet that would be a good read...

I'm not considering a reprograming, but I think that it is interesting that there is anything like that much power left on the table in the stock program.

I also found one of the threads where APR was discussing the boost interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back