Legal to pass on 2X yellow in PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading on the Internet that it is legal to pass on a double yellow line in PA, but I can't find any back up for that in PA statutes. Is that just another Internet rumor? Anyone have proof you can pass on a double yellow in PA? It would seem crazy if it is against the law in most other states.

i always thought the purpose of the double line was to mean no passing across those lines. if its dashed on one side then that side can pass due to vision restraints of the opposite side.

Never was it legal to pass on a double yellow line. Lived in Pa all my life (thats why they paint double yellow lines).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I keep reading on the Internet that it is legal to pass on a double yellow line in PA, but I can't find any back up for that in PA statutes. Is that just another Internet rumor? Anyone have proof you can pass on a double yellow in PA? It would seem crazy if it is against the law in most other states.

this law is the same everywhere. double yellow=no pass.
or, if you're not sure, pass a cop over a double yellow and see what happens.

Here's an article that indicates it is legal to pass on a double yellow in PA, at least according to some. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/all-warrior-070204,0,1581900.story

I am pretty sure it is legal to pass horse and buggies and farm tractors when there is double yellow, although I do not see it written in the statutes.

By the way, I'm not advocating anyone pass on a double yellow, but a lot of folks over at advrider.com seem to think it is legal in PA.

Found it:

§ 3305. Limitations on overtaking on the left.
No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center or marked center line of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit the overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and, in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within 200 feet of any approaching vehicle.

§ 3306. Limitations on driving on left side of roadway.
(a) General rule.--No vehicle shall be driven on the left side of the roadway under any of the following conditions:
(1) When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a curve in the highway where the driver's view is obstructed within such distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.
(2) When approaching within 100 feet of or traversing any intersection or railroad grade
crossing, unless otherwise indicated by official traffic-control devices.
(3) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.
(b) Application of section.--This section does not apply under the conditions described in section 3301(a)(2),(3),(4) and (5) (relating to driving on right side of roadway).

§ 3307. No-passing zones.
(a) Establishment and marking.--The department and local authorities may determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving on the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and shall by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when the signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of the signs or markings. Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone.
(b) Compliance by drivers.--Where signs and markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a), no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within the no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark a no-passing zone throughout its length.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter33.pdf

Yeah, but it seems that 3307 (a) overrides 3305:

(a) Establishment and marking.--The department and local authorities may determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving on the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and shall by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when the signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of the signs or markings. Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone.

Yeah, but it seems that 3307 (a) overrides 3305:

It is confusing, but maybe we need the definition of highway?

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I am pretty sure it is legal to pass horse and buggies and farm tractors when there is double yellow, although I do not see it written in the statutes.

+1

In Michigan it is legal to pass them on a double yellow....but that leaves you open to subjective police interpretation of what wreckless is and isn't.

3305 describes normal passing conditions.

A careful reading of 3307 yields (pun intended) this gem:

"Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone."

as well as: "Where signs *and* markings are in place"

So, no signs, pass on double yellow is legal.

Right?

Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone.

I've seen "NO PASSING" signs in PA on highways which have a double yellow..and there was no dashed yellow prior to the sign. So either the sign is redundant, or the only way for them to make illegal to pass on a double yellow is with a sign.

I've wanted to pass a few PA slowpokes on US30. Speed limit 45, they want to drive 35 AND pulled out in front of me. It was early Sunday morning, I think they should have slept in.

Could be they put up signs in tricky spots where there is a hidden dip or something.

It wasn't in PA, but I once was stuck behind a pickup doing about 35 in a 55 zone. The road had a series of short hills and dips. Finally I came up to the top of one hill where I could see the next few dips didn't have any traffic. I was in my Grand Am with a 5 speed and a HO Quad 4. I caught 2'nd, and blew by the guy catching 3'rd at 70 beside him. I bet the old coot griped about me the rest of his life.

Oh, yeah, I have driven US 30 in Pa far more than I care to have. My dad hated it.

It just seems crazy to have different traffic laws in different states, but that's the good ol' USA! Reminds me of a joke I heard once. In New Brunswick they were planning for the switch from driving on the left to driving on the right, so they decided to require trucks to do it first to ease the transition.

Reading my cousin's drivers ed manual it is/was apparantly legal to pass on a solid single yellow in Vermont. Now that I think about it I don't recall seeing a solid single yellow in a very long time, anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
3305 describes normal passing conditions.

A careful reading of 3307 yields (pun intended) this gem:

"Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone."

as well as: "Where signs *and* markings are in place"

So, no signs, pass on double yellow is legal.

Right?

i don't know...the 'fine print' at the end could be interpreted differently:
"...or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark a no-passing zone throughout its length."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back