Redline Water Wetter and Royal Purple Purple Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard of these 2 products and I was wondering if they really help to keep engines cooler.

I have a 1990 Trans Am GTA, with the 5.7 liter engine and I was thinking about adding something to it, to help keep it cooler in the summer months.

Anyone have any opinions, good or bad, on the Water Wetter and Purple Ice?

Thanks in advance!

I'd say you need neither of them. Water Wetter formed some weird kind of scum and "sandy" deposits in my overflow tank and around the inside neck of the rdaiator. I clean everything out and flushed it, no sign of deposits anywhere.

They are mainly intended for racing situations. They work best with little or no antifreeze. Very little benefit for street vehicles using 50% antifreeze.

I have Motormax in my 04 Mazda6 and the only thing i seem to notice is when i open the hood after a long drive(i'm in FL)the engine seems to be cooler. I don't seem to get that heat that usually hits you in the face when you open it up.
smile.gif

Biggest advantage is water wetter allows you to use straight water in your coolant system without having corrosion issues - you also tend not to hit the wall if you pop a hose or lift a cylinder head. Going from 50/50 to straight water did reduce my street/strip car +20F.

It is definitely NOT snake oil - it does it's job when used as directed - IN MY EXPERIENCE - ie: ******* REALITY !!!

MAT

Watter wetter won't make your car run cooler than the thermostat rating.
It will reduce hot spots that boil, primarily in the head.
I use it because of it's stated claims. It's very difficult to test.
It doesn't scum up most cars.
I believe DEX Cool was the one it didn't like.

I used it for 1 year with the HOAT (Chrysler coolant) and it definitely scummed up. I’ve been running a year without it and the coolant is pristine.

I don’t care if it works or not but there is not way I’m using it again.

That scum forms when the coolant with ww cools down. As soon as it warms up the scum goes right back into solution. WW's claims are reasonable when used as directed. The best use as noted above is in 100% distilled water. It also does reduce steam pockets inside the engine. It also helps in marginal situations where temps get really high for extended periods. We've followed it in a motor home with a big Dodge 440 engine. After doing what we could we went to 100% water and ww and brought back max temps from 250/260+ to steady 235. Before the temps bounced all over the gauge in the top end and now they are steady.

I've read here in the forums that the diesel version of W/W (no anticorrosion additives) wont cause the scum. Has anyone got any evidence/experience to substantiate this?

It's true. But why do without the extra protection. Don't put ww in the overflow container. Lower the level in the radiator and put it there. I know some will eventually get in the overflow, but not as much.

I've used Water Wetter in our taxi's, mixed in the radiator with 50/50 conventional coolant, and yeah it did seem to make a couple of the cars run cooler. I generally stay away from coolant additives but this one did actually sort of work and it didn't sludge up with conventional antifreeze either. If it was cheaper I'd probably try it in some other cars I own.

I really like Redline products and use their oils, gear lubes, and fuel cleaner in almost every vehicle.

I had lots of problems with Water Wetter, [ brown scum and or other deposits ] even though I used distilled water.

I gave up on that product.

I have recently experienced first hand what Water Wetter and straight water will do to a cooling system component. I bought a used high flow water pump from a guy who ran his car on the street and drags, drags mostly. He ran Water Wetter and straight water, dunno what purity water or how often he changed fluid. The pump had noticeable rust on the impeller and a little corrosion buildup on the aluminum parts of the pump. I would never run WW and water alone after seeing this. To me, WW obviously does not have enough corrosion inhibitors to do the job. I would add additional corrosion inhibitor/pump lube with the WW/water mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back