dexcool alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a coolant that is easier on a aluminum block besides dexcool ?
I know the traditional green is best for iron blocks of old but whats best for a aluminum block besides dexcool ?
I don't want any gaskets melted or the dreaded sludge from air in the system.

I'm a fan of PEAK Global EL. It's getting harder to find, especially in full strength. It's a long life coolant that doesn't use (gasket eating) 2-EHA.

Most collants now are made for aluminum blocks. I mean, come on... Honda hasn't had a cast iron block that I can remember, and Toyota hasn't had one since the I6 in the Supra/IS300/GS300.

The Peak Global is good stuff, used it in our last Civic as it had no silicates.

Whatever you use, just be sure not to mix.

The global is hard to find and if so it's the 50/50 mix.
there is no nissan dealers around here either.

any other choices ?

K-Mart tends to carry Peak GL. I've only seen it in the 50/50 mix.

I got 2 gallons last week, which was all they had at my local store. I'm still looking for a few more gallons.

A G-05 would be fine for aluminum engine parts but while low in silicates it does have some. The Asian car manufacturers say no silicates. I for one have never heard of a water pump problem in an Asian vehicle because of G-05. And G-05 says on container its compatible with the better brand of coolants. I am converting my 2001 Jeep from whatever is green in the radiator back to G-05 which I believe was in there from factory, but on other hand the Jeep switch from old green to G-05 could have been a mid year switch.

I'm not sure about using a ford chemistry product in a gm vehicle, is the G-05 just a weaker version of dexcool ?

same ingredients but with low silacates ?

I wonder what they mean by aggresive, likes to eat plastic !

Maybe the G-05 is a pretty good alternative, the coolant diagram above showed it for pre 1996.
wonder if that really makes a difference?

G-05 is a HOAT (Hybrid organic acid technology), Dexcool is OAT.
If I could not find Peak Global I would run G-05, definitely.
I found 100% Peak Global at my Napa.

GO-5 is completely different-no 2-EHA inhibitor, which is the plastic-eating, rust-sludge forming bad boy of Dexcool. It does have some silicate, which is why it isn't generally recommended in Japanese mfr.'s cars-they are silicate-free phosphate inhibited.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
GO-5 is completely different-no 2-EHA inhibitor, which is the plastic-eating, rust-sludge forming bad boy of Dexcool. It does have some silicate, which is why it isn't generally recommended in Japanese mfr.'s cars-they are silicate-free phosphate inhibited.

You're saying Dexcool causes those issues? I thought Dexcool evolved into a decent coolant, but I haven't really researched the topic.

I recently purchased a 2007 GM vehicle that runs Dexcool, so I, too, am examining alternatives to the product.

It appears the Amsoil coolant is compatible with all forms of coolant and additives. Perhaps that is a good alternative. I've had great success with all of their other products.

Dexcool is more than fine in vehicles that do not circulate coolant through the intake( most of the GM v-6 and engines had lower intake failures and some of this was blamed on Dexcool, although GM never admits that most of their designs blow)And I own a few GM's so I can say this and have plenty of experience working on some of their poorly engineered offerings!! The LSX(one of my favs second to the LT-1) and many others will go way past 100K with Dexcool, without incident as long as the surge tank cap is intact and not leaking. Usually it should be replaced about every 50K. Air getting into the system is what mainly gave Dexcool a bad name.

Last edited:
Well, that and the fact that gobs of nasty sludge form when air gets into the system. That didn't do Dexcool's reputation any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back