wd 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid I would spray my entire bike after washing it. The bikes never rusted. Im wondering if that would be a good idea for the car before winter. Now im not saying spray the glass and sensitive areas but a good coating under the car cant hurt right.

Being partly a rust remover. Ain,t wd40 containing acid? I would think a spray of thin wax spray would be better

There are better things to spray on the underbody of the vehicle. Not sure where you are in NY. I suggest you go to Dolgerville or Buffalo (I think) and have you car sprayed with Carwell or buy some and spray it yourself.

Dutchess county ny Donald. I see u say a product called carwell. what is it and were can I get it if I chose to use it

redhat on here is located around buffalo and had his cars sprayed. Hopefully, he will chime in or send him a pm. Fluid Film is another good one.

I have sprayed the frames of my pickups (three Chevys and now a Nissan) since 1988 with WD-40. I never had any real rust on the frames or cross members even though I lived in PA and drove on heavily salted roads. Now keep in mind my frames had a coating of scmutz on them that was factory applied and the WD-40 soaked into this material. On a bare painted frame I doubt it would do much at all.

On bare painted metal like the control arms, I always applied a coating of grease when I lubed the ball joints. Since my Nissan has sealed joints, I have not been as regular about this and at 7 years, I notice some surface rust forming on the lower surfaces.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Dutchess county ny Donald. I see u say a product called carwell. what is it and were can I get it if I chose to use it

I lived in Dutchess when I worked for IBM in POK. Now in Columbia County.

CarWell is on the web, just Google them. Were it me, I would drive to Dolgerville some Saturday morning in the spring and have them spray your car for $100. Watch them and then do the under body yourself from then on. They have long wands to spray in body cavities which probably only need to be done once. I believe the place sells CarWell product also.

I have gone there in the spring for the past 2 years and had both my vehicles done.

Carwell and Krown are the same product I believe. One in US, one in Canada.

Ibm in pok and fishkill i used to plow the parking lots there. Anyways thanks for the info.

Search around here for underbody rust protection and rust proofing; LOTS of discussion. I think you have Crown or a similar line available in your area, but if not check out Fluid Film and Amsoil HDMP for a DIY application.

I know a guy up here in Buffalo that does the CarWell procedure in his driveway. He does an oil change in the autumn (to avoid doing one in the cold weather) and takes that used oil & sprays in on with a garden sprayer; the wand on that gets into all the cracks & crevices.

I'm not sure what's in the CarWell stuff, but his motor oil works well - none of his cars have rust, except one that already had rusted quarters when he bought it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back