House votes to block E15 from gas pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. Above 10% concentration, mpg goes down quickly - which is why they allowed 10% to start with.

5c0b60e3_19b9_29cf.gif

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
I vote for straight 100% gasoline, no ethanol also.

adam

I wish for that too, but the corn lobbyists have too much involvement with those who decide upon these things.

Too bad California has E10 gas...and most stations in Las Vegas do too. Utah is a little better with 100% gas. Corn belongs in my bread and not in my fuel tank!

Hopefully the Green movement has hit its climax and things start to go back to normal with the new Congress. I would like alot of you, just like a choice. Our last Governor mandated E10 at all the gas stations, in a state surrounded by boaters and year around lawn service. Iam hoping our new Governor repeals this, he is certainly on a roll down here.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Hopefully the Green movement has hit its climax and things start to go back to normal with the new Congress. I would like alot of you, just like a choice. Our last Governor mandated E10 at all the gas stations, in a state surrounded by boaters and year around lawn service. Iam hoping our new Governor repeals this, he is certainly on a roll down here.

Ethanol is used for green washing all the time, but with the way its produced, there's not too much "green" about it... Other than algae in the dead zone in the gulf from all the chemical fertilizers washing off all those new corn fields in the Mississippi river basin...

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Too bad California has E10 gas...and most stations in Las Vegas do too. Utah is a little better with 100% gas. Corn belongs in my bread and not in my fuel tank!

I'm fairly certain every state has adopted ethanol E10 during the winter since MTBE was banned In most if not all states.

Corn is yummy in my tummy but not gummy in my tank!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Ethanol is used for green washing all the time, but with the way its produced, there's not too much "green" about it... Other than algae in the dead zone in the gulf from all the chemical fertilizers washing off all those new corn fields in the Mississippi river basin...
That is ironic, that most of thier "Plans" have about the opposite effect and even makes matters worse. Example is Ethanol, they use more energy to produce it and burn more of it to get the same energy. Windmills, same problem, they have to cut down trees to put up a windmill that takes so much more energy to construct than it will ever produce. The trend is endless and stupid.

Finally some good news. For one thing, burning our food supply is stupid. Encouraging farmers to grow corn for the specific purpose of being used as energy is even stupider. It is one of the reasons the cost of food is going through the roof.

Ethanol, especially from corn, is remarkably inefficient and multiple studies have shown it to be more polluting than gasoline by the time you add in the added transport costs, harvesting equipment, fertilizers, etc. Then, if there is a drought or flood, our energy supply and food supply are impacted.

Not only that, but most cars on the road today aren't designed for it, and the damage that increasing ethanol would have would cause a lot of older cars to be disposed of, along with part replacements on new cars. How is that good for the environment? It takes more energy to build a car or build new parts than it does to keep an old one on the road.

Now, next order of business... get rid of E-10 (or at least stop encouraging and/or mandating it). I don't like E-85 either, but at least that isn't being forced on the general public and it appears that neither the consumer market nor the automotive industry as a whole have a big interest in it. We're all paying for the subsidies though.

Originally Posted By: jim302
Ethanol, especially from corn, is remarkably inefficient and multiple studies have shown it to be more polluting than gasoline by the time you add in the added transport costs, harvesting equipment, fertilizers, etc. Then, if there is a drought or flood, our energy supply and food supply are impacted.

Also, the growing, harvesting, and transporting of corn burns up a lot of diesel fuel, pushing up the price of diesel beyond where it would otherwise be.

Quote:
The Senate must still pass its own version of a spending bill, where ethanol has strong support, especially in large corn growing states.

Good luck getting it past the senate much less getting signed into law.

The EPA has the authority and will tell the people what is good for them whether they like it or not.

Quote:
Before E15 can be sold, the EPA must finalize a labeling rule to warn consumers that the higher blend is only for certain vehicles.

Can you imagine how much of a PITA this is going to be? Can you sue the EPA for causing the situation which killed your engine? There WILL be lawsuits by people claiming they got E15 from the wrong tank, etc...

Lawyers will love this.

The EPA and the tree huggers will just have to move on to the next stupid idea.

I have a question. Is anyone that owns a Flex Fuel vehicle actually using E-85?

Quote:
Is anyone that owns a Flex Fuel vehicle actually using E-85?

I remember a couple of years ago when the bottom fell out of the gas market that E85 was selling for the same price as unleaded.

There are only a couple of stations that I go by that sell the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back