You're gonna love this! 2016 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the UOA on the 2016.
2,829 miles on the oil.
5,670 miles on the engine
The oil was M1 EP 5W-30. The quart added was M1 5W-30 HM. I guess I know where the visco drop is coming from.

Last edited:
It would seem that you are going to need to keep your OCI at around 3000 miles. I see no reason at all to run a premium synthetic at that interval--any synthetic blend would do. Are you certain there is nothing wrong with the engine? The fuel dilution seems incredibly high for only 3,000 miles. I would hedge my bet by increasing the viscosity to an xW-40.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It used a whole quart of oil in 2,829 miles?
Yes, maybe slightly more. This was a fast road trip. I was taching 2200-2300 most of the time. That doesn't surprise me. It hasn't used oil before or after that.

At what mileage did you have to add the quart ?

I'm thinking it must've been right around 2700 miles; hopefully not sooner.

But then again, we're talking about M1 5W-30 here. The Bermuda triangle oil.

No smoke on this run. This was M1 EP. That oil was added over the course of the trip.
The engines use a lot of boost. AT 2200-2300, its boosting pretty good. For hours on end, That's why the oil consumption doesn't really surprise me.

I keep telling you guys these TGDI engines are a whole new ball game. Trying to relate this to a port injected NA motor of the past is not going to help you.

I am really surprised someone hasn't chastised me for not following the OLM.
smile.gif

My 2016 3.5 Eco hasn't used any oil in 5500miles. That includes towing our travel trailer 1800miles in two weeks. Twin turbo direct injection. You have a problem as indicated above.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Dont add HM M1, its got seal swelling ability and will ween from not having it. Try Castrol Magnatec or QSUD with short intervals.

High mileage oil will not hurt one thing. Wives tale. I run Valvoline HM 5w30 full synthetic in my 2.7 and I am very happy with it, the motor is way quieter than with pup and no more black tailpipe residue, I just picked up 2 5 gallon jugs a Walmart with the dexos1 Gen 2 logo on the label, (it was on the back of the shelf behind the old formula stuff).

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Yes, maybe slightly more. This was a fast road trip. I was taching 2200-2300 most of the time. That doesn't surprise me. It hasn't used oil before or after that.

I had a 1.2L 3cyl at 4500-5500 rpm for several hours, not a drop. 2k rpm is nothing for anything on the roads these days.

My Jeep tachs higher than that most highway runs with the 4.10 rear. Thankfully I'm not using any oil. I don't think the rpms are your problem. That fuel dilution is really beating that oil up. If I were you I'd consider a 0W40 oil.

I don't think I am getting my point across. I was not referring to the rpm's simply for what the engine is turning. The point is, at that rpm, as opposed to say 1700, it is really in the boost at that point. The pressure is what is causing the fuel dilution, not rpm.

Originally Posted By: Strawdog
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Dont add HM M1, its got seal swelling ability and will ween from not having it. Try Castrol Magnatec or QSUD with short intervals.

High mileage oil will not hurt one thing. Wives tale. I run Valvoline HM 5w30 full synthetic in my 2.7 and I am very happy with it, the motor is way quieter than with pup and no more black tailpipe residue, I just picked up 2 5 gallon jugs a Walmart with the dexos1 Gen 2 logo on the label, (it was on the back of the shelf behind the old formula stuff).

That's interesting. No more black tailpipe residue with the Valvoline HM?

The point is, at that rpm, as opposed to say 1700, it is really in the boost at that point. The pressure is what is causing the fuel dilution, not rpm.
This is just cruising with no load? It will be VERY interesting to see how long these engines last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back