2001 Acura TL 3.2 UOA 10K miles Mobil 1 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOA from my 2001 Acura T.L with a 3.2L V6. I used a M1-104 filter and added Techron to my fuel tank every 3K miles. Oil was ran for 8 months. Blackstone seemed to be a little concerned about the Lead, what do you guys think?

I don't think its major issue if it was you'd see major amount of lead ppm, run shorter interval and resample and see what happens to lead.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Too much Techron.

Not saying this has anything to do with the lead reading, but some varieties of Techron caution not to use more than twice during an oil change interval, so the OP may be overdoing it. If I use Techron it's just before an oil change.

The Techron I used was from Costco sold in the 6 pack. The bottle says safe to use every 1000 miles. As a teenager I worked at a chevron station and the owner told me that the premium gas had 3X the Techron as the other two grades. I never fill up at Chevron so I thought adding some Techron would keep the system clean. After receiving the UOA I informed Blackstone of the Techron use and they recommended not using any this OCI, so after 8K miles I will send in another sample and see if anything changes. Another variable is E85, I did mix 4 gallons of E85 in my tank 5 different fill-ups during the sampled OCI.

Used to do Costco 6 packs - but now watch for the Techron total system cleaner to come on sale. Thinking it's called 3k - but only use it before a 5k oil change ...

It appears corrossion has set in to influence lead ppm, probably due to long OCI and E85 I guess.

What do you see that points to corrosion? 10K miles is not that long of an OCI considering the Oil and Filter used. Also, I hear E85 burns cleaner so I dont know if a few tanks of blended fuel would do much.

Well 8360 miles later I have an updated report. During this OCI I did not use any fuel additives and ran only premium unleaded gas. The lead, iron, and copper levels all went down. When I drained this Mobil 1 I replace it with PP 5W-30 and a NAPA gold filter.

Lead numbers trending down, so that is a good sign.

What were you trying to achieve by adding Techron to the gas? If you were using a quality premium, I would think any additives wouldn't be necessary.

Is "amount" really relevant? Is it possible that Exxon's detergent simply works better than Shells and requires less to meet standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back