Sway bar links and bushings on F-250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my neighbor to help me replace ball joints recently on my 2001 F-250 4X4, and that was a significant task, especially after one of the axle shaft seal I purchased had been returned to AAP damaged and nobody noticed. Anyway, made a seal installer with a 10-inch piece of galvanized pipe with cap and flange. Ground the flange down to fit the seal and installed the seal without a hitch. Got the ball joints installed but still had clunk when going over bumps. Searched and found the culprit was likely the sway bar end links. Used a AAP discount code and bought the Driveworks end links because I drive the truck no more than 5K miles per year. Replaced sway bar bushings with Moog problemsolver thermoplastic ones. The end links on the truck were indeed shot to pieces (since I can use another descriptive term). Installed new end links and bushings and the noises are gone. When I get the front end aligned next week, it should ride like new. BTW, those Driveworks end links are Moog problemsolver clones.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Heard a little clunking and was afraid it might be the knock-off end links. Nope. Just needed to get under the truck and retighten the bolts. Noise gone. Finally got truck to shop to get front end aligned. Tech came and got me and said, "come look at this." Screen was all green. Alignment was perfect after all those years of driving with worn ball joints and end links. Used to have to fight it to keep it in one lane. Had to relearn how to drive it without excessive steering input. Now it's a "drive with two fingers" truck again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back