Exhaust Pipe Chain Cutting tool not working??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to replace a broken flex pipe under a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. I borrowed a chain type exhaust cutter from AAP.
289-35613.jpg

I know I was the first one to rent it since it still had the zip tie and seal on the handle of the case. But all it does is make grooves on the pipe. I know the wheels on the cutter are turning.

I must have been at it for about 10 minutes straight. I have heard people saying it only takes like 8-15 turns! Am I doing something wrong? I don't have access to an angle grinder so don't know what else I can try...

Here is one online AZ review

Quote:

If you like to struggle, then this tool is for you. If you don't like to struggle then use a electric Sawzall. It took me 45 minutes to cut some tailpipe under the car. It's a basic tool that requires you to keep pressure on the handles while you work the tool back and forth so the blades will cut the metal. Be sure to wear eye protection and gloves. It works, but takes time and effort. I'd probably rent a Sawzall next time.

so, you have another 35 minutes....

WW at one time sold a Stanley hack saw that looked like a wood saw, the blade just stuck out 3 inches. I bought, then lost, mine.

Please post your conclusions, since I will be doing this on my car next week. TIA

Last edited:
Grab another bite of chain, handles will be further apart now, you might have to use two hands. It should cut right thur.

You probably don't have it on tight enough. That's got to be the cheapest pipe tool I ever seen.

Open the handles before hooking the chain on then squeeze while rotating the tool back and forth.
These work fine once you get it set right.

I did do that when I was using it. I even went up a spacer so I was holding it with both hands to squeeze it close while sawing away...

I am pretty sure the exhaust is stock so it's not some fancy aftermarket metal. I"m going to try another type and hopefully it'll work.

Those work on mild aluminized steel. I have one of those and the instructions say do not use on stainless. Betcha (just guessing) that Hyundai exhaust at the flex pipe is a 400 grade stainless which will dull down those wheels in short order.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Those work on mild aluminized steel. I have one of those and the instructions say do not use on stainless. Betcha (just guessing) that Hyundai exhaust at the flex pipe is a 400 grade stainless which will dull down those wheels in short order.

I suppose it has to do with the quality of the tool. I have a vice grip style with an adjusting screw not two handles with good cutting wheels.
It goes though stainless fine it just takes a little longer, oil on the wheels makes all the difference, nice clean square cut though.

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-On-186-12-12-Inch-Locking-Epoxy-Coated/dp/B000SOVR3W

Update:

I borrowed a vice grip one from my friend but it still won't cut. Make some grooves but just wouldn't go through. I ended up break the chain.....
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-On-186-12-12-Inch-Locking-Epoxy-Coated/dp/B000SOVR3W

I had a tear in the flex pipe where it joins the exhaust. I ended up using shears to cut the flex pipe tear completely and jammed in a pipe inside and then used pliers to pull the other end of the pipe into the exhaust pipe. Then I put Muffler and tail Pipe Bandage Muffler and Tail Pipe Bandage around the whole thing and used 4 hose clamps to hold it in place.

Drove around the block for about 5 minutes and it seems to be fine. I don't see any smoke at all. I will check again tomorrow morning. I think it'll hold until I have a break from school to take it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back