05 Chevy Colorado T-Stat change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone changed a stat on these trucks? Have to remove the drivers side tire and splash guard, it's a side access with the I5 engine. The housing/stat is one piece. I'm getting a P0128 code on cool days with the temp coming up slowly. I'll get heat only after 6-8 miles. Cooling system is full with clean coolant. Guess I've got a lazy stat that won't fully close.

I understand one of the 10mm bolts is hard access. Will I need a universal joint and couple of extensions? Does the stat gasket require gasket compound?

I am with Chris142 as I also have changed these in both H3's and Colorado/Canyons. Not a bad job.

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
I understand one of the 10mm bolts is hard access. Will I need a universal joint and couple of extensions? Does the stat gasket require gasket compound?

No, the gasket is an o-ring. No need for anything to be applied to it.

It's been awhile since I did one, but I think I did use a universal socket and you do need an extension for sure.

Last edited:
Cant you just buy a t stat? My saturn has the style where the t stat twists and pops into the housing.

I think I read it's one piece.
15-10574.jpg

Last edited:
Its a 1 piece stat and housing so you cant just buy the stat. The oe ones seem to be failing often. We have been using aftermarket ones and so far they are not any worse than the oe.

get it from the stealer they are better sometimes its better to get oem forget that you will be paying 40%-50% more if its not good there goes your engine

I bought one for an H3 on Rockauto - AC DELCO that was cheaper even with shipping then the Autozone part.

I have had the OE GM and one RockAuto Delco replacement stat fail, so last time I got the Stant stat from RockAuto and the Stant seems to be holding up well. So at least on the 4.3l engine, my advice is to avoid the Delco stat.

Changed the stat yesterday. Much to my surprise the stat was fully closed. However in a hot water test it started to open at only 158º. I now have a normal temp gauge reading and the P0128 did not reappear. I had 196º near the coolant sensor when checked with my IR gun.

Sorry, should of said "Much to my surprise the OLD stat was fully closed. However in a hot water test it started to open at only 158º

It was the OE stat. 8yrs old, which in that production year was supposed to be a 180º stat. GM went with 195º's in 06 or 07. Probably to help reduce emissions.

I had P0128 on my 2005 Ford Focus. Changed the t stat yesterday but haven't driven enough yet to know if the engine light will come back on. Installed a new Motorcraft t stat and housing 1 piece unit from ebay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back