Dipstick Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2006 Grand Caravan with the 3.8 V6. When I was looking it over I pulled out the dipstick and it appeared to be way overfull. The then owner explained that the dealership had broken the original dipstick and replaced it with one from a 2005. He showed me where they had etched a line into the dipstick to indicate the 5 quart mark. I checked it again after a test drive and no foaming or anything else suspicious so figured he must be telling the truth.

Upon bringing it home I immediately changed the oil and filled up with 4 1/2 quarts (capacity is 5). The oil level came in a little below the etched mark, about where I would have expected for 1/2 quart below full. The OEM dipstick is pretty cheap so I picked one up from the dealership and it is exactly like the one that was already in the van (minus the etched mark of course). So I figured, "Ok he got his story slightly mixed up they broke the tube not the stick no big deal." The tube is even cheaper than the dipstick so today I picked one of those up and it too appears to be identical to the one already in the van. Now I'm not sure what to think. It looks like the dipstick should either be 1 1/2 inches shorter or the tube should be 1 1/2 inches longer. Basicly if the dipstick were accurate the thing would only hold like 2 quarts of oil. How could the OEM dipstick possibly be that far off? Does anyone else find this very peculiar?

Last edited:
yes, it is very odd. Let us know what you find out.

You did the right thing by draining and then filling with the amount you did. I would trust the old dipstick since you verified that it is accurate.

Check out post number 15 in this link below. It basically says that there was a change in dipstick lengths between '05 and '06 and you might have been caught between model change over.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthr...pstick?p=186999

"I think Trophyslayer's picture of the oil dipstick is very interesting since it is about 1 inch shorter than yours and mine. I believe maybe you have a late 2005 engine or early 2006 engine with a 2006 long dipstick.

Part 04694325AC is for 2004-2005
Part 04666139AA is for 2006-2010

If you get part 04694325AC you should be all set. This part costs $6.63 at Chrysler parts direct. (get rid of the leading "0" when looking up the part) Marking a couple of marks on the dipstick is free. I was unable to check out the part number for the oil tube except for 2007 and later(04694326AE)."

Please confirm this info for yourself. Good luck!

Were the new tube/dipstick ordered by year, make, model alone or with the vin number also?

There could be a mid year change that may not be picked up by the parts system with out a vin or production date.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

"I think Trophyslayer's picture of the oil dipstick is very interesting since it is about 1 inch shorter than yours and mine. I believe maybe you have a late 2005 engine or early 2006 engine with a 2006 long dipstick.

Part 04694325AC is for 2004-2005
Part 04666139AA is for 2006-2010

If you get part 04694325AC you should be all set.

Yep that's gotta be it. I measured my the new dip stick that I received from the dealer and it's and inch longer than the one in post #14 from the above referenced forum and is part number 04666139AA. This van must be an early 2006 that got an engine that was made in late 2005 and needs part 04694325AC. I think I'm going to take the part numbers, the VIN, and the stick and tube I already bought to the dealer and see if he'll work something out with me. I think that normally these parts are non-returnable but since they didn't look it up by VIN before ordering hopefully they'll at least let me exchange one of them for the correct dipstick.

I think i would fill it up to the specified capacity, check the stick and use that as a reference.

I took the dipstick and tube that I had back to the dealership and he checked the VIN. It didn't really tell him which dipstick was the right one but he said this vehicle was a very early build for the 2006 model year. He exchanged the tube and dipstick I had for the 2005 dipstick. I tried it out at home and that was it. So that was the solution, if the dipstick is too long for a 2006 3.8V6 it means you need to get the 04694325AC dipstick.

As a side note it turns out the line that the previous owner had engraved on the dipstick he had was just a little more than 1/2 quart overfull. I guess that's not really enough to be a big deal but I do like having an accurate reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back