A/C High Vacuum Pump Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an A/C High Vacuum Pump and am looking for an oil alternative that I can use for a day to pull a vacuum on my Expedition A/C. I cannot find AC high vacuum pump oil locally on a Sunday. Napa has one, but are closed. Home Depot has an ISO 68 CAT Pump oil. WOuld that do the trick? Any other recomendations?

Sorry that I can't help you out with where you could get Vacuum Pump oil on a sunday afternoon (short of stealing a bottle out one of the vacuum pump boxes at harbor freight)...

What I can suggest (which might help):

Is your vacuum pump really fancy? Would you be opposed to using a cheaper model? If you don't really care about the "quality" of the vacuum being drawn, you can always go down to your local autozone and rent (for some deposit between 100 and $200) one of their pumps, and procure the oil during the hours that a napa/grainger/&c. would be open. I don't think I've been to an Autozone in Florida (within the last 7 or 8 years) that didn't rent vacuum pumps. Might want to call for availability, though, in the event that a particular store's unit has been made unavailable.

Last edited:
I never thought about vacuum pump oil. I think it should be fine with any a/c oil, I would use what ever the a/c system uses. I would make sure to use an oil that was compatable with the refrigerant you are using.

I got the CAT Oil at Home Depot. I was able to draw the vacuum down to -22Hg. The target is -29 min. Is it possible that the type of oil affects the amount of vacuum that can be obtained? Pump is a Fast Vac DV 42.

Vacuum pump oil is a refined oil that has the light weight molecules removed, and is left with only heavy weight molecules. The idea is that you don't want the oil to start vaporizing from the pump oil on the vacuum side, and contaminating the components in the vacuum. Once the oil starts vaporizing, that's the ultimate vacuum you can achieve. Conventional oils aren't as clean in that respect.

I always have vacuum pump oil available to me. I've never chanced using anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back