Engine Problem - Incorrect Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my oil changed at a big-chain shop. My engine ceased after 2K miles. I am not sure what happen, so I am asking around to see if anyone have seen this before. Look at the picture and please give me your thoughts. And what do you think caused this....thanks..
Mazda Pictures

Looks like they over-torqued the plastic cartridge filter cover, and all the oil leaked out, seizing the engine.

It's winter, so the plastic would be somewhat brittle and easier to crack.

Can you describe a little more what happened leading up to the point when your engine "ceased"? Did you get any warning signs in your dash? Did you notice any oil leaks?

What was the chain you took it to?

Last edited:
The plastic cap split but it did it nowhere near the threads. The cap has a stop where it meets the housing.

I think it just split on it's own. If it had split up by the threads they may have overtightened it.

Thanks Brons2 for correcting my spelling. :). The picture is of the canister of the car. Also I was not driving it, but my daughter was. It was sitting at her dorm for a few weeks and she tried to start it and it would not...

The most common problem with those plastic canisters is installing them over torqued which causes them to crack. The proper torque is only 22ft/lbs. If you have always taken the car to a big-name oil change place, they most likely tightened it too much every time causing it to now fail.

I've always done my own oil changed with a correctly set torque wrench and my plastic canister looks perfect.

Last edited:
No sure if there was any warning signs. My daughter tried to start it but it would not.. I usually prepare my daughter's cars for their trip to college. I was short on time and I had it done at 'Wal-ly World'. ... Yes, I know. Not a good decision.. So she haven't driven it that much. So after 2K miles the problem was discovered...

It looks like it might have hit some debris and cracked the housing. Did your daughter get stuck, run over a chunk of ice, or drive the car off of a hidden curb?

That is what I think also. Because my mechanic said it was hard to remove the canister.... But no proof...

If you were running out of oil a red "oil light" would appear. Did she see the red light on the dash? Is there a puddle of oil where the car was sitting?

No she did not get it stuck and she did not run over anything... Ice or snow, I am not sure. She does go to school in the mountains of Colorado....

She stated no light on the dash. I have not seen the place where she was sitting. I do not think it would be there. It does snow there and I would assume the parking lot would have been plowed and the snow or evidence would have been removed....

I don't think it would have made it 2000 miles if it had broken at the oil change place. I think it got hit by by road debris or otherwise, based just upon the time between the change and now. I also don't think the crack would happen there.

Any chance water could have gotten into the oil, like wiper fluid into the oil cap or no oil cap at all and a puddle... then freezing?

They probably over-tightened it or used an improper tool causing it to crack. The proper tool is a 75.6 mm/14 flute cap style wrench tightened to 30-35nm. It is a very sturdy piece of plastic. The vehicle has a plastic belly pan, so a small leak would not be noticeable right away.

Last edited:
My Mazda has a large undercover bolted under the engine. If your has an undercover then there is no way that the oil canister cover could have been hit while driving. The canister cover is a thermo-Plastic cover that is quite sturdy but, a cap wrench is the correct way to remove it. It is supposed to be torqued to 25 lb/ft when replacing. Service people who use channel locks and other tools to get the cover of or on usually have this kind of problem. Ed

Based on where the canister is located on the car (I have one) whatever she would have had to hit would have taken the bottom of the bumper off,the plastic front valence and engine under tray with it. The crack most likely started small and became worse over time from over tightening.

It does look like the failure resulted in it spraying the pan and therefore failure should have happened under pressure. That kinda takes away from my freezing theory. But...

If the oil was spraying that two or three inches to hit the pan it hasn't been doing that for 2000 miles.

My Fusion has the same canister and cap for a cartridge filter. The way this filter is tucked up under engine I don't believe it was damaged by hitting something. I think it was over sightened and was cracked. To bad that it ruined the engine.

Also I am trying to take this company to court. I think they over torqued it. Also I am having the mechanic check on the filter to determine if the correct filter was installed. It is a chance that they installed the incorrect filter. Also I will add to the more pictures of the under-carriage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back