Fix for dry streaking wiper blades!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guy,

thought Id pass this along.

The blades on my Jeep were starting to show their age. I took a closer look, and noticed the rubber was still in one peice. they just streaked and seemed dry.

I had a can of the Silicon spray I use for door jams and hinges, and I sprayed some on a rag, and wiped the blade down.

I've done this twice now, and the blades I was about ready to toss, have lasted another 6 months, and still work great.

Give it a shot.

Ryan

Nice find, I'll have to give it a shot on my Rain-X wiper blades which are streaking like crazy.

Another trick for streaking wiper blades or "hopping" blades are a product called wiper "Snuggies" available at most autopart stores. They are simply a thick metal wire that attaches to each wiper that adds pressure and tension, eliminating streaking and hopping.

Chrysler TSB tells you to clean with alcohol or washer fluid. It's what I am doing now. If the blade is not coming apart, then I'm doing this.

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
SUBJECT:
Windshield Wiper Blade/Element Maintenance
MODELS:
All All All Chrysler Group Vehicles
DISCUSSION:
Windshield wiper blades/elements are frequently replaced unnecessarily. Because of the
environmental conditions vehicles can be operated in, a film can build up on both the
windshield and the windshield wiper elements that will cause poor cleaning/streaking of the
windshield, and in some instances, a chattering condition as the wipers blades travel
across the windshield.
Replacement of the wiper blades/elements is normally NOT required to correct streaking
issues. A simple NORMAL MAINTENANCE cleaning of the wiper blades/elements and
windshield is all that is required.
If the wipe pattern appears to be streaky or if there is chatter and no damage to the wiper
blades/elements is obvious, the following steps should be performed:
1. Use a soft cloth or sponge & squeegee and MOPAR Windshield Washer Solvent (p/n
04318067AB, 16 Oz. bottle or p/n 04318068AB, 32 Oz. bottle), MOPAR Glass Cleaner
(p/n 04897623AB, 16 Oz. bottle) or a solution of 50/50 alcohol and water, to wash the
windshield.
2. Raise the wiper blades off the glass and clean the wiper blade elements (rubber insert)
with MOPAR Windshield Washer Solvent or a solution of 50/50 alcohol and water and
a soft cloth, paper towel or sponge.
3. Return the wiper blades to their normal operating position and function the washer
system. If the wiper blades/elements are not streaking the windshield or chattering,
replacing the blade assembly(ies) is not necessary. If the wipe pattern is still
objectionable, repeat step 2 several times. If the wipe pattern is still objectionable,
replace the wiper blades/elements.
POLICY:
Information Only
NUMBER: 23-014-06
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 8, 2006

Living in the SW I don't use the wipers often, but the hot sun ruins blades in about a month...they take a permanet set. I finally made a set of blocks to hold the wipers just off the surface of the windshield. Last set of blades lasted 5yrs. Honda blades BTW.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Living in the SW I don't use the wipers often, but the hot sun ruins blades in about a month...they take a permanent set. I finally made a set of blocks to hold the wipers just off the surface of the windshield. Last set of blades lasted 5yrs. Honda blades BTW.

Even though I must use the wipers often in Florida, permanent set is an enormous problem that leads to skipping and missed spots.

That is where Bosch wipers are the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back