Best Grease for High Speed- High Load Bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been reading the oil forums for years.......but just started reading all about grease. All kinds of grease red, moly, marine, synthetic, hi temp, etc......

I have a 72" finish mower behind my tractor......the bearings on the blades operate at pretty high speed and under some load.

What would be the best grease for this type of operation?

Would the same grease be recommended for wheel bearings?

Tacky Red grease with a 70 lb Timkin rating would do better than just plain chassis grease. Usually the industrial grease does well due to the hammering load of the gearbox pushing against the blades. Chevron, shell, schaffers they all have a good product that is not real expensive.

I used shell alvania and a few others with good results. Now days, I use Amsoil grease and their GLC is excellent, or the Truck grease.

The good news is you don't technically have high speed bearings. High speed bearings are about 10k rpm and above. A good grease rated for wheel bearings should serve you well.

I've always used disc brake wheel bearing grease. Mystik is what most of my stuff gets, it's cheap and not a bad grease.

At my work we designed a piece of equipment that had alot of heat and had a thrust brg that was subjected to both. At first I was going to use Dupont Krytox-extreemly expensive (typically I think it is in alternator brgs). However ater much research we decided on Redline brand CV-2. It handles both issues very well. it does turn brown-but I was told it would. We have been running this grease for over 2 yrs now. It works for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back