Fluid for plow? Exxon Univis J13?? (type 5606?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,
I am trying to decide on what fluid to use when I change it in my Sno-way plow.

I searched on a plow forum (plowsite.com)
smile.gif
and found three options:

1. Sno-way factory fluid
2. Exxon Univis J13 [or equiv.] (type 5606 hydraulic fluid?)
3. Synthetic ATF

What do you think?

Thanks,
John
cool.gif

I'm running Amsoil synthetic universal ATF in my Boss power V snow plow without any problems. The low pour point makes the plow operate well when it's real cold, which helps to lessen the electrical draw on the truck.

quote:

Originally posted by Hubjeep:
Howdy,

If you can give the specifications that are called for in the owners manual I'd be able to better find a suitable/better replacement.

msparks, thanks,
smile.gif

I just read the manual, it says:
Fluid Requirements

IMPORTANT: Hydraulic unit comes from factory charged with Type 5606. If additional oil is added it must be compatible with Type 5606.

NOTE: When Type 5606 is not available Exxon UNIVIS J13 or equivilant may be used.

So I guess I should stick with what it says. Where can I buy this fluid??
confused.gif
Either online or locally?

-John
cool.gif

That J13 is very light. Flash point is only 102C, or 216F. My book shows the VI as 300+.
A good ISO 22 hydraulic would seem like a good mid way point between ATF and an ISO 15 hyd fluid.

Thanks for the replies.

I called a couple local places who only sell the 5606 in 6 gallon jug cases
shocked.gif
Totaling $96

I only need two quarts

Any ideas were to get it?

Thanks,
John
cool.gif

[ October 16, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Hubjeep ]

J13 is only available in large quantities.
Sno-way fluid is an ISO____?
J13 is an ISO 15 hydraulic fluid.
Synthetic ATF is an ISO 32, can also be used as a hydraulic fluid, and is on your list.
Hyd 22 is an ISO 22 grade half way between ATF and J13, and can be found in 4 litre (one gallon) jugs just about anywhere for around $6.00.

quote:

Originally posted by Hubjeep:
Howdy,

I searched on a plow forum (plowsite.com)
smile.gif
and found three options:

1. Sno-way factory fluid
2. Exxon Univis J13 [or equiv.] (type 5606 hydraulic fluid?)
3. Synthetic ATF

What do you think?

Thanks,
John
cool.gif

Ok, I'm new here and thought I'd jump in. I just got off the phone with Sno-Way and was told DO NOT use synthetics unless you want to eat up your seals and have to cost of replacing them! I was going to go with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF but have now decided to call a local Sno-Way dealer and get the approved type 5606 instead. Not very expensive and most dealers I'm told will accept credit cards and UPS the oil to you.
Steve

I would loacate a Farm/Tractor Store or similar or Walmart and purchase some Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF, UTTO), or Universal Hydrualic Oil. It's usually a high-grade mineral oil with about an ISO 46 visocsity.

Good for just about any hydraulic system.

Go to a small local - privat aircraft - airport. You will probably find someone there servicing small planes that will have barrels of the 5606 fluid ready to sell as much or little as you want.

If the Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF) is going to be a fit.

John Deere sells a low viscosity UTF. My dealer has both quarts and gallon bottles.

Chevron sells an all synthetic version called All Weather Tractor Hydraulic Fluid (THF)

Any of the named brand tractor fluids will provide excellent cold temp flow characteristics: samed with anyone's synthetic ATF. All are totally compatible and would provide excellent flow, protection, and operability. Mil L 5606 product would be overkill and frankly would not provide sufficient pump protection compared with either ATF or tractor fluid. 5606 has no zinc for pump, cylinder protection.. PLUS tractor fluid or syn atf is much less expensive!
George Morrison, STLE CLS

If it's under warranty, the OEM specs a MIL-L-5606 oil such as the Esso Univis J13. Here are some available comparables:

Castrol LT Hydraulic Oil
Chevron Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A
Chevron Aviation Hydraulic Fluid G
Dryden L.T. Hydraulic Oil
Esso UNIVIS® EXTRA
Lubriplate Special Low Pour Hydraulic Oil
Lyondell Polarflo®
Mobil Aero HF
Mobil Aero HFA
Pennzoil FRIGI-TRANZ®
Phillips Magnus® A "Arctic"
Royal Lubricants ROYCO® 756