Honda ATF Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question starts to overlap some that have already been asked, but I couldn't find anything exactly the same.

The owner's manual for a 1996 Honda Accord specifies the following for the automatic transmission fluid:

"Use Honda Premium Formula Automatic Transmission Fluid or an equivalent DEXRON II Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) only."

So I read this to say that Honda fluid isn't required. A lot of searching shows that some Hondas require the Honda ATF but apparently not this one. But on the other hand a lot of people/sites still recommend using the Honda fluid because it supposedly gives better shifting qualities. So what should I use?

The only reason I ask is because I generally use Mobil 1 ATF and either I use it here or I buy the Honda. No big deal really but I have quite a stash of the Mobil 1 sitting around.

Honda transmissions are the only ones I know of where Dexron-III is not directly interchangeable with long-obsolete Dexron-II. In this case, Dexron-III plus Lube-gard black bottle supplement works very well.

Many modern ATF, including the latest version of Mobil 1 ATF, are multi-vehicle formulas where they'll work better in many brands of transmissions than straight Dexron-III. This latest version of Mobil 1 ATF has a specific recommendation for use in Hondas.

And, of course, we all know that there is no more "real" Dexron-III ATF, GM has stopped licensing Dexron-III makers...but Dexron-III ATF is still being made and sold under various other names including official Allison TES-389.

There was a time before Honda ATF-Z1? :)

j/k, my 94 Teg had the same Dex II rec. You should be way okay with the M1 in your stash.

Things only got interesting after the compact 5AT was introduced...

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
{snip}Things only got interesting after the compact 5AT was introduced...

32.gif

They were "interesting" as well with the 4-speed AT in the 6th gen (98-02) Accord as well.

Why quote one car that is kinda outdated?

But people should know that many Honda transmissions are WAY different than normal.
They actually shift the gears, not use clutch packs and bands with the gears always engaged. This obviously would require a different sauce.

In a Dex-spec AT, I'd choose Dex VI over M1 ATF. I've used both, but not in same car. Dex VI seems a bit thinner, more consistent over temp range in my experience. Just an opinion tho, M1 ATF is great fluid.

M

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But people should know that many Honda transmissions are WAY different than normal.
They actually shift the gears, not use clutch packs and bands with the gears always engaged. This obviously would require a different sauce.

Right. They are odd ducks with sliding gear sets like an MT, but each gear has it's own stack of clutch pack disks/rings associated with it.

Joel

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I use Amsoil ATF in my Honda AT and it works flawlessly. Original trans @ 140k going strong.

Me as well. 151k and going strong> Just changed it Thursday for the third time. I go 50-65k before changing. Lots of highway miles.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I use Amsoil ATF in my Honda AT and it works flawlessly. Original trans @ 140k going strong.

Me as well. 151k and going strong> Just changed it Thursday for the third time. I go 50-65k before changing. Lots of highway miles.

Have you done a UOA before a change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back