Motorcraft FNR5/Mazda MV Fluid replacements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've asked about this before...but...If I wanna go with something other than the REAL thing, can I? What is an acceptable substitute? Anything Mercon V approved?

Just want to avoid buying over the counter from the dealer when I will change every 10k.

Use Pennzoil multivehicle or Castrol Import for those 10k partial drain/refills.

Just wasnt sure if Merc V was a good sub. Some say it simply changes the ATF OCI, while others say it is totaly incompatible.

BTLew81,
This was posted by Pablo on another thread about Mazda 3 automatic transmission fluid.

Quote:

BTLew81 - change of news. Got this today:

Quote:

In response to your further inquiry, yes, Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (product code ATF) does meet the specifications for Mazda M-V fluid. It is listed as the recommended product in our look-up guides, but the label and data sheet for our ATF need to be updated to include this information.

Thoughts on M1 ATF? Just looking at all possible options. I guess if I can use any Mercon V, I can use a variety of fluids...

The M-V and Mercon V are different specifications. I would contact Mobil about that, see if they would recommend it. According to unDummy, Mercon V will work just a shorter service life.

Quote:

The M-V and Mercon V are different specifications. I would contact Mobil about that, see if they would recommend it. According to unDummy, Mercon V will work just a shorter service life.

Yup, two totally different specs. Mazda Corp. told me straight up not to use Mercon-V in my FNR5 transmission. But then again, they say not to use anything but the Motorcraft FNR5 fluid.

I think Amsoil has a fluid that they recommend for Mazda M-V spec'd trannies (mazda6i, ford fusion i4, mercury milan i4).

Wow...more confused now! lol Some say Merc V is OK, while others say no. I would like other options beside OEM, but that looks like a tough situation right now. What is so special about this FNR5/M-V fluid?

Quote:

Wow...more confused now! lol Some say Merc V is OK, while others say no. I would like other options beside OEM, but that looks like a tough situation right now. What is so special about this FNR5/M-V fluid?

No one knows because it is such a rare spec. Mazda designed the transmission for that spec so it is probably a good idea to follow it.

As I said above, I think Pablo found an Amsoil ATF that is recommended for use and meets the Mazda M-V spec. The is the only ATF I have found that specifically mentions Mazda M-V.

Valvoline Maxlife ATF has a document somewhere that says it can be used in the FNR5 for the Ford Fusion, but it did not mention anything about the Mazda M-V spec.

I posted the quote from Pablo's response from Amsoil tech support on the subject of the M-V specification.

I would trust unDummy's advice as well, he's never given a bad recommendation, that I can recall. From what I recall reading on here in the past, Mercon V can be used but the service life is greatly reduced. I do not know the reasons for it.

The Mazda spec is a step up from MerconV concerning life, anti-shudder durability, and performance. It actually is an excellent fluid, but dealers overcharge for it.

If Amsoil is in the budget, then use it. With each drain/refill, you'll increase the amount of synth fluid. This transmission family needs all the help it can get.

I'm also running ATF+4 in a couple units. I personally don't care what Mazda Corp, or any automaker, recommends. Ask Mazda how many hundreds of transmissions they replaced in the 3/6/626 under warranty with their OEM fluids?

I'm running Redline D4, with several drain-refills, and a tranny cooler in my 04' Mazda6 with 20k miles. This Jatco ATX does need all the help it could get.

OK...still looking for additional input from those who have ATX with FNR5/M-v Spec. Undummy...approximately how much is the FNR5 fluid?

Looks like Ford FNR5, part no. XT-9-QMM5, is about $4.33/qt. Not cheap, but not that expensive. Looks like I may order some online.

You might check your local parts store. They could surprise you with the price. Given it is a motorcraft product, anyone should be able to order it. Even a ford, mercury, or mazda dealer might have a good price for it. I think someone on the mazda6 forum said their dealer was selling "the stock fluid" for $3.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back