ATF-3 in Boss snowplow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have always used ATF in my old Western plows, my BOSS dealer says to use ATF-3 in the new plow.ATF-3 is cheap and avilable everywhere I buy gas which is a big plus. A discussion on PlowSite has ATF with wax in it, clogging screens + valves. I would think an auto trans would not even work if this was true.
Is there any thing in ATF that would hurt a pump or valve body on a snowplow. Thoughts or experences on the subject.
thanks

Aren't you suppose to use 'snow plow oil'?

I wouldn't worry about "ATF wax". Thats just **.

What I would worry about is the performance requirements of the plow hydraulics vs. the capabilities of ATF. ATF is an excellent hydraulic fluid. But, is it in the correct viscosity for your plow system? Does it have the correct seal conditioners? ......

What you need are specs of the required fluid. Search for plow oil or milspec 5606.

And, ignore the Boss dealer. Contact Boss directly for their opinion on the products that they sell.

I use Amsoil synthetic ATF in my Western plow, on the 2nd winter with it in there.

I don't see any benefit to using an ATF+4 fluid though but the synthetic made a big difference in my plow. I don't hear any groan in cold weather any more.

edit
I just called one of my ROTS, his primary business is a Boss/Western dealer/installer (for years), he says Dexron ATF (GM) and does not recommend the other fluids.

Mike
Locale-Lake Superior

[ January 18, 2006, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back