GM Oil Part # 12346190

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 96 Trans Am and the T-56 manual tranny went on it. So in doing a rebuild on it i ordered upgraded parts for it from Donato Engineering. And after i ordered the parts he said to go to a GM dealer and use part #12346190 which is a new oil that is really good...

Anyone know what this is, or why its any better than normal tranny fluid? All i know is it was $20 a quart
shocked.gif

[ November 28, 2003, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: kmook ]

12346190 is the Castrol Syntorq LT. Doing a quicky search on here for "Syntorq", it seems the best alternative is a 50/50 mix of Redline MT-90 and MTL.

For background, the 6190 is used in the Viper, but not in the T-56 for the 'vette. in the Corvette it was just normal Syncromesh fluid.

pricey buggers those GM factory lubes are.

ferb!

Hm. Hm hm hm. Synthetic lube eats paper. Never heard of anything like that. Trying to run that scenario in my head, i can't find any reason that it WOULD.

Maybe with a full ester fluid that is polarized...

Anyone reading this that can give a better reason? If paper is dissolved in synthetic ATF, then many tranny filters should be completely gone by now.

ferb!

Amsoil recommends either of their 75w-90, synthetic gear lubes for this application. The Castrol Syntorq is a synthetic gear lube will very good low temp properties ...

I'd run the Amsoil S2000, 75w-90 (TGR) - I think it retails for about $9.25/qt if I remember correctly.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back