Conventional 75w-90 non limited slip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if any of the big name brands make a conventional 75w-90 that does not have the limited slip additive? Valvoline used to but now it has the limited slip stuff. Thanks!

No 75w-90's in conventional form come to mind. However, Pennzoil has a syn 75w-90 GL-4. The product data sheet mentions it as an ideal fluid for manual gear boxes and does not mention LS additives.

Meanwhile their product data sheet for the syn 75w-90 GL-5 states it's ideal for LS diffs and has a LS additive.

Last I checked, both fluids are on Amazon. But the 75w-90 GL-4 listing has an incorrect product description. They copy and pasted the info from the GL-5 product.

Here's the product sheets if your interested:
http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Pennzoil+Synthetic+75S-90+GL-4+GL-5+ALL.pdf

I have some conventional Valvoline 75w-90 in my stash. It's not marked LS, and I bought it in 2012. The Forester has it in the manual transaxle and rear diff. No problems in 18,000 miles!

[How about Subaru Extra-S ? It's a 75w-90, and one of a few that works safely in their manual transmissions. It is also a GL-5 rated fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I have some conventional Valvoline 75w-90 in my stash. It's not marked LS, and I bought it in 2012. The Forester has it in the manual transaxle and rear diff. No problems in 18,000 miles!

That is what I've been using on my Corolla; it's been the best fluid I've used. Synthetic 75w-90, even GL-4s have been notchy. I'm apprehensive about using Valvoline anymore since it now contains limited slip friction modifier!

You can probably get it from a Ford dealer. They require you add the LS additive separately so you know the stuff they sell doesn't have it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Synthetic 75w-90, even GL-4s have been notchy.

Interesting. I wonder if dino GL4`s will give smoother shifting over synth GL4`s? I have a case of Pennzoil Gear Plus 80W90 GL4 that I`ve never tried.

I would make sure what the recommended fill is. Many manuals use ATF Just saying. I bought some dino 75 90 MTL to use in my snowblower I don't recall the maker, but I bought it at Auto Zone. Also there are differences in this. Make sure the lube is specced for MTs Diff lube may not like brass. What you want will be on the label somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back