Hyundai SP-IV Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've been reading about the new 2011 Hyundai Elantra and the improvements made from the previous generation. The new six speed automatic transmission calls for the new Hyundai SP-IV for these units. I've tried looking for Hyundai SP-IV everywhere but no one seems to talk about it very much. The Hyundai SP-IV is listed in the owners manual for the 2011 Elantra but where do you find this stuff at besides the dealer?
confused.gif

By the time you need to change your fluid, I am sure there wil be an aftermarket fluid that is compatible (paid for licensing).
Maybe a Mitsubishi dealer would have an SP-IV fluid. Hyundai SP-III and Mitsubishi's Diamond SP-III are the same fluid.

Hyundai doesn't license fluids.

What's wrong with the dealer? It seems like people on this site are scared to walk into a dealership, lol.

When you consider how badly they usually try to rip you off, yes even on ATF, there's good reason to be scared to walk into a stealership.

Originally Posted By: glum
When you consider how badly they usually try to rip you off, yes even on ATF, there's good reason to be scared to walk into a stealership.

Bargaining has worked wonders for me. I usually pay about 25% off MSRP, which brings the prices down to what the parts stores charge anyway.

Hey guys, I found out some information about the Hyundai SP-IV Fluid and where to find it.

Hyundai SPH-IV Part# 00232-19045 (available at your local Hyundai dealer and will work specifically for Hyundai if Hyundai Genuine SP-IV is not available)http://www.myhyundaiforums.com/chem20091214.pdf

Hyundai Genuine ATF SP-IV (local Hyundai dealer)

Valvoline Maxlife ATF - Lists Hyundai SP-IV specifications as "suitable" and some people are reporting that it does better than OEM fluid and there are no problems at all.

BG Universal Synthetic ATF - Lists the Hyundai SP-IV specifications with the part number of the OEM fluid.
http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20Chart$5B1$5D.pdf

Michang ATF SP-IV

SK ATF SP-IV

NOCA ATF SP-IV

other brands meeting the above specification approved by
Hyundai Motor Co.
http://www.hmaservice.com/local_viewer/d...openNewWindow=Y (Go under Recommended Lubricants and Capacities page# 8-4)

Anything but the dealer most of them are not the best place to go for honesty thats for sure!
Im at a number of dealers during the week picking up parts for customers cars that only the dealers have and i know what goes on and its pretty funny i tell people go to dealers for warranty work ONLY otherwise you derserve what you get in most cases.... I see some of those guys doing things and if they did that here at my shop they would be fixing it on their time.. I tell everyone to fix every car like it is your own except for John he has a 2002 nissan with 80,000 miles on it that smokes like the marlboro man and he rebuilds engines for a living! He always says he fixes cars all day and does not want to be bothered fixing his own...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Anything but the dealer most of them are not the best place to go for honesty thats for sure!
Im at a number of dealers during the week picking up parts for customers cars that only the dealers have and i know what goes on and its pretty funny i tell people go to dealers for warranty work ONLY otherwise you derserve what you get in most cases.... I see some of those guys doing things and if they did that here at my shop they would be fixing it on their time.. I tell everyone to fix every car like it is your own except for John he has a 2002 nissan with 80,000 miles on it that smokes like the marlboro man and he rebuilds engines for a living! He always says he fixes cars all day and does not want to be bothered fixing his own...

Props for that. A good indie shop is hard to find. There are some dealerships that really do good work.. but there's 3-4 mediocre ones to one good one.

Hyundai is over with the cool kids now with the SP-IV. Similar to DexVI, Toyota WS, Mercon SP, MaxLife etc.

u0qz2f8.gif

Last edited:
On friday I bought 2 quarts of of SP3 for my father for 6.80 a qt from the Kia dealership I pass on the way home from work.

I had a look into the store room at a Hyundia dealer.
It was filled with BG stuff.....also saw boxes full of BG ATF.

My next atf fill will be the BF atf for my Sonatas.

I am so totally confused with Hyundai SP-IV transmission fluild specs. I prepared the following summary where I found the fluid specs for 2 SP-IV transmission fluid and those that are recommended for SP-IV applications. I read a lot about Valvoline MaxATF which many people claim works well but the fluid specs are so much different than SP-IV. It seems to me that the Kendal Versatrans LV is the closest match to the original SP-IV specifics.....

Korlube SP-IV Michang ATF SP-IV Vavoline Max Life Amalie ATF Amsoil OE Amsoil Signature Series Redline D4 Vacoline Multi Import Castrol Transmax Multi Import Kendal Verstrans LV CAM2 Dexron-VI Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF

Viscosity @100℃, cSt 5.48 5.4 7.9 6.5 5.8 5.9 7.5 6.9 8 5.9 6
Viscosity @40℃, cSt 26.1 Not Avail 39.2 29 28.3 28.5 34 36.3 36.6 29.2 29.11
Brookfield Viscosity @-30℃, cP 7,600 7,500 17500 13000 10864 9015 Not Avail 18000 10500 10200 1000
Viscosity Idex 153 180 178 180 155 159 198 153 200 152 153
Flash Point, ℃ 202 200 190 210 224 225 208 220 Not Avail
Pour Point, ℃ -50 -48 -39 -51 -48 -53 -60 -52 -48 -40 Not Avail
Density @15℃, g/cm3 0.852 0.85 0.86 Not Avail Not Avail Not Avail Not Avail 0.849 0.862 0.845 Not Avail
Color RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED

I don't know what the Brookfield viscosity # means ie...it a higher number or worse.

Here is the chart I prepared.

If anyone knows what the Brookfield viscosity number means please reply.

Last edited:
Brookfield and kin. visc. are both methods of measuring viscosity. They are convertible. Brookfield is measured in centiPoise units and Kin. Visc in centiStoke units. It is mandatory that the density be measured at the same temperature as the viscosity.

From Google

To get centiStokes from centiPoise, divide by the density. Since most hydrocarbons will have a density of about 0.85 to 0.9, the centiStokes value will be about 10% to 15% higher than the centiPoises value. To go in the other direction, multiply centistokes by the density to get centiPoises.Nov 29, 2015

https://www.shopcross.com/smart/how-do-i-convert-centipoise-cp-centistokes-cst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back