Power Steering Fluid for 2005 Toyota Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend has a 2005 Toyota Echo 130,000km. As far as I know, it still has the original power steering fluid. The dealership wanted to flush it at about 80,000km but I told my girlfriend not to since I could do it myself. Interestingly, they did not offer to flush the transmission. I would think for the average car owner that a transmission flush (or preferably change with filter and magnet cleaning) would be more productive than the power steering fluid. I changed the ATF later myself, good thing.

If they think the Type T-IV in the transmission never needs changing in this car, shouldn't the power steering fluid last even longer?

The dealership probably only wanted to flush the power steering since it is simple with almost no risk and they make a lot of markup on it.

Anyways, according to the owner's manual, and I think on the power steering cap, it states use Dexron type fluid. Well, the fluid in the car is quite clear and light tan, just like regular power steering fluid. Obviously I don't want to mix fluids. WHAT kind of factory fill is in there exactly?

To change the PSF myself I was planning on disconnecting the return hose while I fill the reservoir, with the car running.

Sounds like a plan to flush....

I just extracted some fluid from the reservoir and refilled. Did this a few times over the next few weeks. Probably not as thorough as your method.

Not sure what is in there @ the factory. I refilled with Redline D4. Redline also makes a PSF.

A brake fluid exchange also might be in order.

Use a ATF that meets the Dexron III specification.
Many use Mobil 1 for the advantages of synthetic.....better cold flow and better heat tolerance.

The RED color of ATF is a dye.......and the clear stuff in the Toytota power steering is simply ATF without the dye.

My 2003 Sienna calls for Dexron III for the power steering and the transmission.
I plan to use Redline D4 in both.

Our 94 previa takes ATF in the ps. I use pennzoil, and it is foment. I have tried different atfs in my BMW, and M1 is the best I've tried.

For the tan stuff, go to an MB dealer - their psf for 1980s diesels is an undyed dexron ATF. It is maybe $4/qt.

No problem mixing fluids, as long as it's Dex III ATF compatible.

I've drained and refilled all our toyota vehicles using Amsoil ATF, and no issues. Oh, and the steering is easier to steer as well. Even in fairly new vehicles!!

After you do it, ask your girlfriend if it steers any better.

If she pays attention to that stuff, she'll say yes.

I have seen plenty of Toyotas with yellow PSF, but the cap says "Use Dexron."

I put in synthetic ATF, and I always get great results.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
No problem mixing fluids, as long as it's Dex III ATF compatible.

I've drained and refilled all our toyota vehicles using Amsoil ATF, and no issues. Oh, and the steering is easier to steer as well. Even in fairly new vehicles!!

After you do it, ask your girlfriend if it steers any better.

If she pays attention to that stuff, she'll say yes.

Ditto, I also use Amsoil ATF and no issues too.
Hwever, thinking to try the thinner Redline PSF, not sure if anyone got experience before ?
Sidetrack, I find my brake require slightly less effort when I change the brake fluid from DOT 3 to DOT 5.1, but not sure if the effect will be the same with power steering when changing to thinner fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back