Ford Five Hundred ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting to sevice my Ford Five Hundred transmission, owners manual call's for a Ford Part No. XT-8-QAW fluid, is this a special oil or just a Ford part no. for Mercon ATF?

Looking for a recommendation for ATF.

I have the 6 speed transaxle.

Thanks Jon

Which tranny do you have? From the Amsoil lookup guide...

Automatic Transmission,CFT30......VTF [1]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation
Automatic Transmission,F21......TIV
Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid

I believe that 6 speed trans was made in conjunction with GM. So wouldn't it use the same fluid that GM uses? Dex 6....sorry to add more questions to your question.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I believe that 6 speed trans was made in conjunction with GM. So wouldn't it use the same fluid that GM uses? Dex 6....sorry to add more questions to your question.

Not in the Five Hundred, that's an Aisin trans. The 6F showed with the 3.5 in the 2008 Taurus.

Jon is that a Constant Velocity Transmission?
Might want to check before adding any fluid. I think the fluid for the CVT is pretty specific. Or at least was a few years ago when they first came out.

Welcome to Bitog.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: beast3300

Not in the Five Hundred, that's an Aisin trans. The 6F showed with the 3.5 in the 2008 Taurus.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

The transmission is an AISIN transmission and requires MC preminum as atated, which is Mobil #3309, which is the same as T-IV.

Last edited:
Any universal or multivehicle ATF mentioning 3309 or T-IV.

Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Amalie, Maxlife.... are some.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Might want to check before adding any fluid. I think the fluid for the CVT is pretty specific. Or at least was a few years ago when they first came out.

Welcome to Bitog.

CVT = Continuously Variable Trans, not Constant Velocity.

anything that is licensed under the Mobil 3309 variation will work for your trans. if you are worried about warranty than stick to the motorcraft flavor.

Thanks for all your responses,

after reading some of your responses I went ahead and did a search on this site, I see this question has been asked before, I didn't use the correct words in my search

I do have the Automatic 6-Speed Tranaxle, not the CVT

Thanks Again!!

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

Welcome to Bitog.

CVT = Continuously Variable Trans, not Constant Velocity.

Correct and thank you.

^^^what they said^^^ about Mobil 3309 and Toyota T-IV.

My niece has an '06 Fusion with the same transaxle and I've been using T-IV as I can get it from the Toyota dealer for half what Ford charges for their version.

Did this service to my wife's Montego with the same trans about 5K miles ago. Used the Motorcraft fluid as it is under an extended Ford warranty until 100K. The drain plug is a 10mm Hex and you drain about 3-3.5 quarts out with the trans warmed up. I got exactly 3 quarts out of the trans (7 qt total capacity).

Thanks for all the input

StormRider- thanks for the instruction

I've read this transmission uses no filter- is this correct??

I believe the filter is not meant to be serviced, as one is not listed for the 6spd that I'm aware of. There is one listed for the CVT, but that's only on the Freestyles and AWD 500/Montego's. I did the drain and re-fill at 45K (currently at 51K) and plan on doing it again in another 45K. The hardest part was finding the right funnel combination to re-fill the transmission as the dipstick tube is so [censored] short for some retarded reason. There is supposedly a fill plug somwhere on the top of the transmission but I couldn't find it..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back