Oil Temperature for Air Cooled Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any information on the oil temperature range for air cooled lawnmower engines at full load in 95 to 100 degree F outside air temperature.

Thanks Wayne

Using an air-cooled engine in this heat is severe service. You'll need to change the oil more often.

I'd use straight 30 weight for this application. "Delo 400 SAE 30" would be my first choice.

Stay away from the multi-viscosity oils in this heat. No 10W-30, 15W-40, etc.

I do use Delo 400 15W-40 on my Honda genset with good results, before moving to cool mountains, I used to live in Delhi where in the summers, the temps would come close to 48C and the genset ran in that heat for 7 hours straight without any problems.

The same Delo 400 as well as Delvac Super also performs admirably in 55C dessert of Rajasthan in my vehicles.

I, personally, like to go by Briggs & Stratton's recommendations for any small lawnmower engine. It seems to be working fine for me. Their #1 recommendation is SYNTHETIC oil, in 5w30 or 10w30, for any temperature range. They do not recommend dino multigrades, saying oil consumption may result. They sell, under their own brand name, a 5w30 synthetic. They also recommend and sell 30w dino, for use in warmer temperatures.

I have a 2000 model Craftsman mower with the 5.5 hp Honda OHC engine. I have an hour meter on it to track usage, and it is used a little over 50 hours a year. After a 5 hour break-in, I used Mobil 1 5w30, changing once a year. It never used a drop in 4 years. This year, I had a quart of Mobil 1 0w30, so I used that. This oil now has 29 hours on it, and no usage as yet. The oil stays very clean, and I was tempted to use last years' oil two years. I wanted to see what the 0w30 would do, so I went ahead and changed.

I am convinced that lighter oils work best with the splash lubrication systems in most of these little air-cooled motors. Better distribution of oil when cold, less drag for a little more power and fuel efficiency. Heck, if I see no usage with the 0w30 this year, I may try 5w20 next year.

I recently installed an oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge on my 20hp Kohler engine (Craftsman tractor). I glued the temp sendor against the block (don't know how accurate that is, but it gives me a baseline). After running a while in 100 degree heat, I'll see 240F on the gauge. When I shoot the oil filter with my temp gun, I see 240-245F. Oil pressures run 35-40lbs.

BTW, I'm running 15w40 Delo and an ST8 Supertech filter, (yes it't big and it fits!)

Jim

A lawn contractor we use said that the honda 4 strokes seemed to not like the very hot days and said that Honda dealer recommended using under 35F.

quote:

Originally posted by JimG:
I recently installed an oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge on my 20hp Kohler engine (Craftsman tractor). I glued the temp sendor against the block (don't know how accurate that is, but it gives me a baseline). After running a while in 100 degree heat, I'll see 240F on the gauge. When I shoot the oil filter with my temp gun, I see 240-245F. Oil pressures run 35-40lbs.

BTW, I'm running 15w40 Delo and an ST8 Supertech filter, (yes it't big and it fits!)

Jim

At first glance, I would say that your oil temperatures are running a little high. I just checked some add-on oil temperature gauges for cars, and about half of them showed a highest reading of 250 degrees. The other half would read as high as 300 degrees. I would try a 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic and see what the temperature is. A thinner oil should have less internal friction and run cooler, becoming less sludge prone.

quote:

At first glance, I would say that your oil temperatures are running a little high. I just checked some add-on oil temperature gauges for cars, and about half of them showed a highest reading of 250 degrees. The other half would read as high as 300 degrees. I would try a 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic and see what the temperature is. A thinner oil should have less internal friction and run cooler, becoming less sludge prone.

Before I switched to 15w40, I was running 10w30 M1. Exactly the same temps. I'd rather have an HDEO in there.

its a air cooled kohler..right?... its not a car, it'll run considerably hotter, especially during hot weather....

quote:

Originally posted by Slick:
Any information on the oil temperature range for air cooled lawnmower engines at full load in 95 to 100 degree F outside air temperature.

Thanks Wayne

I find it kinda funny how the first few posts had absolutely nothing to do with the question he asked :p

I've touched the crankcase of my lawnmower after using it on a hot day, with spit on my finger, and its'd definitely a bit over the boiling point.

My John Deere runs at 200F in the crankcase with a 13 HP Tecumseh single cylinder using 0W30 GC.
Outside air temp was 102F. This was during and after mowing 1/2 acre. I would stop in the middle of mowing and raise the hood and take the reading immediately with my IR temp gun.

smile.gif

for those of you have have engines with oil filters, you can sometimes substitute a longer filter if you have the room.
This will add a bit of cooling surface

"Briggs/Kohler type" 3/4" X 16 threads 8-11 PSI Bypass
Gasket 2.734"OD 2.430"ID 0.226" thick
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Kohler B&S Baldwin JD TEC MotorCraft AC Fram
2.3" 57035 NA LF503 2805001 492932 B7165 ? 36563 NA NA? NA
2.7" 51056 L35310 LF302 1205001 492056 B1410 AM125424 36262 NA PF2210 PH8172
3.4" 51348 L10241 LF157 5205002 491056 BT223 AM101207 ? FL793 PF53 PH3614

A Supertech ST8 (PH8 in Fram, BIG FILTER) fits just fine on my Kohler, and at least twice as big as that little (expensive) Kohler filter.

BTW, if you do not own an infrared temp gun: BUY ONE! They are great for taking the guess work out of estimating engine temps. I just shoot the filter, instant gratification! They are down to 40-50 bucks now. I also use them for shooting marine exhasut manifolds, a/c registers, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back