What's the best oil for a Honda 160cc GCV engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
What's the best oil for a Honda 160cc GCV engine in a Husqvarna lawn mower? Can I use Mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil? Or is it better to use oil designed for these small engines?

Thanks

I use 10W30 in mine per the owners manual and change it a couple times during mowing season.

I change the air filter once a year.

Just remember when tipping the mower Always tip it to the side where the oil cap is as if you tip it the other way oil will get into the air filter and you will have a real mess!

Without looking I think it takes 18 oz of oil. I saved the OEM bottle that came with the mower and use it as a measuring device.

The OM likely says 10w-30... I'd go syn for better resilience in the heat. The best? Amsoil ACD that is a 30wt straight oil that flows cold like a 10w-30.

If I was going to buy oil specifically for it I'd buy Delo or Rotella 10-30 or maybe even x-40. That being said I use 5-30 conventional in all my OPE since I always have a ton of that.

Last edited:
I ran the supplied 10w30 in my 414cc ohv engine. its not a honda but most of the parts are interchangable. That was for only an hour then I drained that out and put in 10w30 motomaster supreme. Its coming out at the 25 hour mark and 10w30 defy is going in it.

I think a goood quality 10w30 is a good bet.

I use Amsoil HDD 5w30 in my GCV160 powered mower and it seems to work well. The HDD is a bit thicker than most 10w30 oils, so there is no problem using it.

I use Motorcraft semi-syn 10-30 in my Honda. What ever you use, do not overfill the crankcase. If you do, it will leak out of the governor seal. I think it only takes 16oz for a refill.

Is there really a best oil? I have used a few different brands in my 160. never noticed any difference in them. The last few changes have been with SL rated synpower. And as always purrs like a kitten.

For drain and refill its 12 to 13.5 oz.
Initial fill is 18 oz

A Honda GCV 160 will run perfectly fine on just about any oil. I have one of these engines, and I've used SAE 30, 10w-30 conventional, 5w-30 synthetic, 5w-40 synthetic, and 10w-30 racing synthetic. I haven't noticed the slightest bit of difference in performance or consumption (it has ZERO measurable consumption) with any of these oils. I always just use whatever oil I have hanging around when I'm changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back