Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage Virgin Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgin5w30HM.jpg

I thought Magnesium was abrasive, how come it is in pursuit of Calcium's job in so many recent formulations of various oils, including hdeo's?

I remember from chem class that both calcium and magnesium compounds are very basic, ie ant-acids. we did a lab where tested acid neutralizing ability and I believe the magnesium ones (maylox maybe?) was much more efficient per unit weight. just a guess but makes sense to me

I planned to use this in my dad's '01 silverado this spring since it's had several years of regular M1 in it...so thank you for this!

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
I remember from chem class that both calcium and magnesium compounds are very basic, ie ant-acids. we did a lab where tested acid neutralizing ability and I believe the magnesium ones (maylox maybe?) was much more efficient per unit weight. just a guess but makes sense to me

I can't remember anything from chem class, chemistry was not my strong suite back in the day!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I thought Magnesium was abrasive, how come it is in pursuit of Calcium's job in so many recent formulations of various oils, including hdeo's?

This is either oil soluble Magnesium Sulfonate or Magnesium Salicylate and is not abrasive. It is mainly used as a high base detergent.

And thanks to the OP for the VOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: btanchors
I don't recall seeing a higher flashpoint on any UOA or VOA from Blackstone...

Exactly what I was thinking...........

Stout oil!

I've ran this oil in my 2UZ-FE several times and it seems to have been great. Mainly ran it when I first bought my LandCruiser with 120k miles and wanted a good cleaning oil.
I now mix it with extended performance to gain the best of both products.

I just put it in my 3UZ-FE (100%) and it's smooth. Seems from the butt test this oil makes the skinny pedal a little more sluggish or less responsive. Anyone else notice a difference?

I know it's higher viscosity from 5w-30 oils I ran before.

I keep seeing that Blackstone classifies Boron as a detergent/dispersant. Is that correct? I thouhgt that Boron was an AW additive that worked well at lower temps versus Moly that needed some heat to get it activated.

I know this is a tad off the course here, but it's numbers like these that cause me to use, and recommend, this oil for small air cooled engines, ie. garden tractors, lawnmowers, etc. This is one stout oil, with a very good add pack, and in my mind, it's every bit as good as, if not better than, HDEO's for air cooled equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back